2010 Linear Appraisal - North Idaho

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by kelebek, Sep 27, 2009.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Hello to all!

I am looking at having Linear Appraisal done in 2010 on my Nigis and my Nubians. I just talked with ADGA and they have not got the applications out for the 2010 year, but I thought that I would put this up -

I am willing to "host" the linear appraisal at my ranch if anyone else would like to participate. The reason that I say this, is for a "stop" it is 225.00 and then you pay per goat approximately 8.00 give or take for appraisal. I personally have 20 + goats roughly and I know that there are some breeders or owners that would like to have the appraisal done also, but to have them "stop" at your farm is not a thing that you would want to pay for.... on top of the appraisal itself. When talking to ADGA she told me that the appraisor can do about 8 goats an hour and if need be, can stay for however many days it takes to get through all the animals.

so here is what I propose...

depending on how many others would like to go in on it - we can share the cost of the "stop", either break down the cost per animal and only pay a "share" for each animal or divided up evenly between the farms that participate.

each farm pays their own appraisal fees and application fees. (application fee has to be paid at time of app and I will put the packet together and turn it in - as reccommended by ADGA)

There is plenty of room for trailors, temp fencing to go up, water, my house for potty breaks, and depending on the time of year we can BBQ food and what not also!!!

Let me know what you all think and if you might be interested!!!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sounds like a cool opportunity. I would do something like that with friends if I could. Thats real nice of you to offer it :thumb:

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Thanks Stacey.

It is expensive to do (225.00) just for the stop. So most people with small herds can't afford to do this. But I have lots of land that my animals have never been on and won't so people can trailer in and use that area and dstill have the benefit of doing appraisal but not pay for a stop - just split the costs up!

4. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    That's am awesome idea! I did a three day training for Linear appraisal with one of the appraisers for ADGA. So informative, so much to learn....

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

LA is a very interesting tool. Its a great learning experience. I would jump at this chance if i were closer!
    beth

6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I would most definitely join in if I were closer. I plan to do Linear Appraisal next year but am looking to go to another farm. We have lots of room for LA at my aunt and uncle's farm but don't want to put them under that kind of pressure.

Anyone from NW Oregon going to host?? Probably not, but just thought to ask. :)

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Olivia, ask Kat Drovdahl, she's in southern OR but she may know of a breeder that will be hosting if she's not :)

Thats great Allison that you are signing up, I'm going to be hosting next year as well :)

8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Alright, thanks Sarah!