2011 Wether(:

Discussion in 'Meat Market' started by goatnutty, Mar 19, 2011.

1. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Today I purchased my wether for the fair in June!! I'm so excited the people I got him from had a lot of really nice kids this year and he is absolutely adorable...he's not really friendly yet but we can work on that. He was born December 23rd and I would say he is 30 or 40 pounds by now. I'm so ready for the fair now!! :cool:
    http://s335.photobucket.com/albums/m455 ... 0/prancer/ is a picture of him....he needs a name!

2. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    oh, oops I changed the privacy settings so it should work now! sorry,,,

3. Maggie

Maggie New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Floyd, Va
    He is adorable.

4. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    thank you! :) He is really a sweetheart if you can catch him..lol

5. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    maybe this will be easier... [​IMG]

6. Dani-1995

Dani-1995 Active Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Greenville, NC
    What a cutie! Love his markings!! Good luck with him this year :)

7. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Thanks! I'm really hoping he does well since the last few years we have had problems with out wethers growing like we wanted..

8. Dani-1995

Dani-1995 Active Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Greenville, NC
    He looks tall, long and seems to have a straight topline. I can't tell how wide he is though. But if he has width then I'd say he should make a decent wether.

9. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

Good luck with your wether this year he looks pretty good.

10. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    He's a pretty boy! Good luck with him, you'll have to update us!

11. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    He is pretty wide in his loin and everything so hopefully he does well.
    Thaks Roger and HoosierShadow!:)

12. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    He's getting big already! I'm going to try to get some better pictures of him..11 weeks from Sunday is weigh in at the fair and I cant wait to see how he does! :leap: The only thing is he is still very leary of people and I need suggestions on how to tame him down...anyone? :chin:

13. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Animal crackers...and baby talk.... hehe...

Was he handled a lot by the breeder? We bought a buckling last year we were going to use as a buck, and he was wild as a hare. We worked with him every day, when he ate, it was from a bowl one of us was holding. We'd rub our hand over him as he ate, and eventually he quit running away, and would stand and let us rub on him while he ate.
    Then we'd catch him, and just work with him, showing him lots of kindness, rubbing on him, scratching him and finding his 'spot' :) Along with the animal crackers, once he got used to us he was all over us, and became sooo sooo sweet :)

I have a lot to learn, but this worked with us. I even tamed down a doe we rescued, and even have my 3yo buck where he will let me mess with him without needing 3 people to catch him and hold him.....he cries when I leave his pen LOL

14. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    haha no, they were all pretty wild she said that is the way she likes her goats.

15. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    I love his coloring! :love: Very nice. I'm partial to the paints that have the red running down one or both legs like a pair of pants. I use potato chips for my goats, and ginger snaps. Like Hoosier said, finding that nice scratching spot goes a long way, too. Soon you wont be able to get him off of you!

16. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Thanks! He's a real cutie, but I'm trying not to get too attached since I only have a couple months left with him! Thaks for all the suggestions:)