The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crop of 2!:cool: So far, haha. The one with a ton of white is my show heifer i'm keeping this year, and the bull i'm keeping too,:D, they're the ones i stuck on bottles this year.
They are out of the world champions Innisfail herd.

I'll post pics of my Holstein Crop in a few.

I'd love to see any baby moo-babies you've got this year. (hehe, my daughter calls them little moo-bees and bebe cows)

Attachments

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are my holstein girls :D, there is 4, sorry the last one was cut out of the pic :/
The brown one is a holstein/brown swiss cross, mix up in the AI straws from our tank oh no :eek:! Still a cutie anyhow.:)

Attachments

·
2,203 Posts
I really am not very fond of your white shorthorn heifer's rear legs. They look sickle.

Are you planning to show? I can critique if you're looking for a little opinion? :)

Cute family!

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, yes they do look that way in the pics, she was just setting her leg down from an itch in the fist one, mid turn/walk in the second, and in the ones where she was eating she was stretched out a bit.
Yes I do plan to show, she doesnt look that way normally, just awkward pics.
I will try to get better pics for more of your opinions.

Those were my holstein baby pics, they are big girls now, hehe.
The shorthorn bull is 1 month old now, and the heifer is a month and a half now. Just babies.

When do you suggest halter breaking the heifer and bull. The obviously need halter broke for showing. I have never shown before, and have never halter broken a calf. My holsteins come when I call them, and I lead them with a bucket of grain, so I didnt halter break them.
What method do you prefer to use?

·
2,203 Posts
Honestly for halter breaking, I find what works for me is grabbing them, slipping the halter on and letting them eat with it on. They'll fight of course. Let em fight. I leave the halter on them for 3 days. I cut one of the rope halters up so there isn't much drag (maybe a foot to spare) for this purpose. Everyday I go out with another halter and catch them and the other one on. Let em fight. It doesn't happen over night. Once they are ok with you catching and holding them while they eat, leave the grain somewhere else, and lead them to the grain. Halter equals goodies. You don't want them to associate halter with bad.

The other way, with more wild animals, like purchases I've made in spring sales, I put a halter on em, and tie them with 2 1/2ft of extra in their shelter. Put hay and water where they can reach. Leave em tied 3 days. It's enough time for them to get to know you and how quiet and soft you are, and long enough to know that they have to mind the halter.

I've used both methods with very high success. Both beef and dairy.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you, will try that.

Also in one of these other forums you metioned heifers should have 2-4 udder folds,
Are they born with the folds or do they get them when they get a bit older? What happens if you have a heifer with no udder folds?

·
2,203 Posts
Thank you, will try that.

Also in one of these other forums you metioned heifers should have 2-4 udder folds,
Are they born with the folds or do they get them when they get a bit older? What happens if you have a heifer with no udder folds?
They form as they age. They are basically born tight to the skin. Roughly about weaning and up you'll start to see folds. I haven't seen a heifer calf with no udder folds.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, thank you! I was just out there comparing my new baby heifer to some of my yearlings, and my yearling Holsteins had about 5 folds or so, and the new baby had none, I couldn't remember what my heifers looked like when they were born, I have short term memory issue's and long term is sometimes foggy. I was starting to worry, thank you! You are incredibly helpful! :D

·
2,203 Posts
More folds are better than few. :)

Hopefully they'll be good milkers for ya.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts