The Goat Spot Forum banner

141 - 160 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
My 100% paint has finally come home! It was a 8 hour trip but it was worth it shes so sweet and just has the nicest fur that looks like she was just trimmed for show! Sorry about the red light it’s still a bit chilly here so we have the heat lamps on.

Attachments

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
I have to ask, did you culture the cl abscess?

We have a doe that gets huge abscesses from cdt shots. She just super sensitive. Any IM shot ends up be a huge lump for months too.
Abscess was too hard to be cultured yet so waiting but we did also do a blood test so in the next week or so we'll have a blood test and a culture done

·
Registered
449 Posts
Nice kids!

Remember that blood testing for CL is notoriously inaccurate. I really wouldn’t cull a nice doe that you like without an abscess culture.

I’ve had a false positive blood test on a doe I hated, she was a pretty doe but just a nonstop problem child. I sent in another blood test but culled her before the results came back. They were negative. The new owners quarantined and had her tested twice also and both tests were negative. They didn’t put her in with their herd until the abscess could be cultured, also negative.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
Nice kids!

Remember that blood testing for CL is notoriously inaccurate. I really wouldn't cull a nice doe that you like without an abscess culture.

I've had a false positive blood test on a doe I hated, she was a pretty doe but just a nonstop problem child. I sent in another blood test but culled her before the results came back. They were negative. The new owners quarantined and had her tested twice also and both tests were negative. They didn't put her in with their herd until the abscess could be cultured, also negative.
yeah sadly we know the test is going to come back positive we've had CL before on some does we first bought and it looked exactly the same honestly the blood test is just to see before it gets cultured the vet was 99% sure it is CL as we had him come lance another doe before when she was close to her due date he said watch the bump and as soon as it gets squishy he was going to come lance and test

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
Our first doe was moved to the kidding barn with her little set up definitely looks like she has twins in there hopefully does! Her udder has been gradually growing and her tail has bent very puffy on her lady parts and wants nothing to do with me unlike her normal personality I think we’re getting close

141 - 160 of 183 Posts