The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Fair-Haven
4,730 Posts
Oh yes! Started last spring on keep/sell decisions as well as evaluating LA scores, herds, DHIR, tightening up bloodlines for desired type. Have new buckling on reserve, going forward......always trying to better the herd. Wish I had help so I could keep more goaties, but decisions to sell have to come early and hard.

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,532 Posts
We have the last of our kidding in March. We will be focusing on our DHIA and starting LA next year. I have a buckling on reserve that I'm super excited about. Possibly a doeling, not sure yet, I have a couple I'm looking at and may just wait and see what's born and available that matches my goals best. I'll have to decide the couple of doelings I will keep from kiddings this year...unless it doesn't work out...I plan next year to really focus on my goals and move on animals that won't meet them, becoming pickier on what comes in or is kept, and the big task of figuring out who will be with who next breeding season! I can only keep so many as I have to think about how many I want to milk, how often I want to do specific chores, ect. So I have to be diligent about who I keep and how many. (Right now we own 3 bucks. 2 on the property and one with his co-owner (I get him half the year). I do have another buck I leased but he goes home in a month. And we have 8 does, with one leaving this month hopefully and maybe one in milk in the spring)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Well, I have my first dairy doe kidding(hopefully) in March. I want to look into making soap and other things with milk. Look into ADGA performance programs, learning to AI, learn more about registered goats in general, attend more shows-there may be a state fair in the future, and of course learning as much as I can about overall health(especially minerals). Possibly purchasing a doeling this spring and I was thinking about casually looking for a buck, but not sure I want one right now.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
2020 goals
Find a herder to watch the sheep and goats on the weed contract this summer.
build a wool press
sell my Boer kids in march
lamb and kid in April
Have running of the lambs farm tours.

The rest of my Goals Have to do with my bee hives. like make my own Queens. make at least 6 nuc's and experiment with multiple queen hives. Next wear in the bee yard is ether going to be great or a disaster. I cant wait.

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,532 Posts
I also want to simplify my feed routine and find something I'm happy with as well as my chore routine. I. need. simple. lol.

Annnnnd I want to learn to make my own cheese cultures this year. I make cheese now but I got a book to teach me to do my own cultures and I figured if we got milk, we can play around with it!

Last I REALLY need to get things cleaned up and organized more on our homestead...it was so rainy last winter and then so hot this summer so we didn't get as much accomplished as we wanted. Right now we need to be out here getting things done.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
I also want to simplify my feed routine and find something I'm happy with as well as my chore routine. I. need. simple. lol.
Last I REALLY need to get things cleaned up and organized more on our homestead...it was so rainy last winter and then so hot this summer so we didn't get as much accomplished as we wanted. Right now we need to be out here getting things done.
YEP! that's it in a nutshell!

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
You know as I was reading all the replies I was thinking "good thing this isn't a ongoing thread and I can't see how I have failed in my goals" lol but I looked and I haven't done too bad!
- I want to keep AIing and get better at it. I actually just bought 28 straws so I'm prepared for this!
- still need to make my feeders :/ dang money seems to always go to something else.
-still want to get my goats and names out there. This will be the first time I actually advertise outside my state. But I am quite proud that they have gotten out there a little on their own.
- ugh this was added today, probably shouldn't ask how this came about (ticked off) make a buck proof pen in a good area so I don't feel bad that it's too wet and let them go in another pasture where they end up making my life hell.
-keep improving my herd
-I still want to get my bucks collected but that seems to just not happen so maybe but no longer have my heart set on it.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
My 2020 goals:

-Build a larger pen for the does, and build a new pen for the boys

-add more registered and pure bred goats to my herd

-start showing my goats

- i REALLY want alpacas, but we'll see lol

- does due march-may!!!

- I also want to "get out there'' with my herd, but maybe not this year... I want to maybe show a little and see how i do

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
I want to bring a few young ones to a show in May. I even got the weekend off from work for it!

Build 2 buck barns, one for the standards and one for the Nigerians

Build a kid barn (actually these barns I am talking about are smallish sheds)

Really look at my herd and decide which ones really are what I am looking for in my herd and which ones need to find new homes.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sadly I fell badly in June of this year. You can see the size of Angel, well I faced a hard decision. With eight goats I could not give them the care I wanted them to have. I choose selling them so they could go to better homes.

We will revisit in the spring but the must be smaller goats. Nothing larger than Nigerians. My back will not handle anything larger. Doesn’t it suck when your dreams are larger than what your body will permit you to do?

I tore all the soft tissue on the right side of my back and while the horrible bruising is gone, a couple of smaller falls keeps the pain pretty fresh. The last one I ended up in a ditch by the road with a extra large garbage can on top of me. New moon, pitch black, walked right off the driveway.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Goals this year have healthy kids!! This is our first year kidding more than one doe and I’m kind of nervous.

This year we put up high tensile fence for the whole property and next year I would like to make smaller pastures.

I would also like to get my herd up to 15 does, I’m at 9 right now.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts