Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goathiker, Nov 11, 2020.

1. AlabamaGirl

AlabamaGirl Active Member

Jun 18, 2020
    Southeast
    I'm 80% sure those are silky fainters

2. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    They all sure are cute!

3. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    @MadHouse its people like you & Cyndi..and several people on TGS..That give me hope , guidance, laughter, and inspire me to continue. Its amazing how wonderful you goatees are. THANKYOU! :bighug:(highfive):squish:(rofl):):ty::goatkiss::goatrun::rungoat::goatpull:

4. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Aaww! :ty:
    That is the same for me!!!

5. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Thanks!!!

6. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Aww look they are so cute in their fluffy winter coats. :goatkiss:

7. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I haven't read this thread until today. Lots of people having a hard time this year. Looks like I'm not the only one who lost my dad. :(

However, although there was tragedy and loss, there were also many blessings this year and in the spirit of Thanksgiving I'd like to list a few of the good things that happened in 2020. First, we had a wonderful kidding season. Every goat had an easy, straightforward delivery that required no help so we were able to sit back and enjoy the blessings of birth without any stress or tragedy.

Butterfly was a tragedy-turned-triumph. She was three days old when she got trampled by my yearling colt and broke her pelvis. Over the next few weeks she regained her ability to walk, run, and even jump! Soon she was racing around with the other kids and involved in all their rough-and-tumble. She's in a happy "forever home" in Utah where she and her brother will spend their days hiking and climbing to their hearts' content.

Another tragedy-turned-triumph was when one of our mama goats rejected her tiny doe kid, Ziggy, and even took her off into the woods and lost her when Ziggy was only five days old. Phil and I searched for her for six hours and were about to give up hope when Phil took one more walk around our property as darkness fell. This time he went even further afield and with the dying of the day the birds and cattle became silent so he was able to hear a kid cry. I burst into tears when I saw Phil walking out of the darkness with tiny Ziggy cradled in one arm. What a miracle! She's now the pet of our herd and is spoiled rotten in all the best ways.

Because of the COVID, our saddle club went gangbusters all summer and made more money in one season than it usually makes in three. Every event was packed to the gills. My horse Dusty and I made progress in team sorting and obstacle challenges, and I've really come to love her. She's a very good horse! I recently started training my Morgan colt Pepperjack and I can already tell he's going to be a fantastic horse. I'm very pleased with his progress so far. It was hard for me to ride again after I lost my buddy, Jet, to a lightning strike in 2018. But this year I've been in the saddle a lot and I'm loving every minute of it.

COVID restrictions made a lot of us have to think outside the box when it comes to gatherings like church and concerts, but overall I think many of the changes have been good. We held church outside under a pavillion all summer and it was extremely pleasant. I hope from now on we have church outside every summer! We've been planning a Christmas concert and caroling night for ages and we've had to move it outdoors. It will be cold, but I think it's going to be breathtakingly gorgeous outside with the Christmas lights and the candles. I can't wait!

Because of COVID, I've gone to Pueblo even LESS this year than usual! I could definitely get used to that change.

My dad's death mended relationships and healed old hurts in ways that few in my family could have imagined. There were some real miracles that took place because of it. My dad was special to a lot of people so his death helped them get over their pride and make amends for past wrongs both before and after his death.

When we are in the midst of tragedy and loss, it's easy to overlook the many wonderful blessings we have to be thankful for. I don't want to lose perspective by focusing only on the things going wrong in my life.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  8. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Oh, and I got to go hiking here this year!

9:27:20.15.jpg

9. Kass

Kass Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    That is a really good point @Damfino! This year cant be all bad because this year I got my first goats and got to do some pretty amazing stuff with them! And I discovered TGS... I am thankful for all of you! :)
    Sometimes we all need a reminder to be thankful. Thank you.

10. AlabamaGirl

Jun 18, 2020
    Southeast
    You must really trust your goats! Mine would've ran away! (and thanks for the above post, it was very nice)

11. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Your goats would not have run away. :)

You'd be surprised how loyal goats are when they aren't home. A goat's attachment to humans is easy to develop and it's one of the things that makes goats so unique among pack animals. Goats are 10x better than dogs when it comes to sticking with their humans on the trail, and unlike dogs they don't need to be taught to "come" because goats simply don't leave your side. I've often told people who buy packgoats not to expect to ever pee alone in the woods again... their goats will always follow along to supervise the activity!

12. Kass

Kass Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    I second this! I walk mine for miles in the trails behind my house and they dont go anywhere!

13. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Amen to all the wonderful positive atributes of 2020. We all need to be reminded that it should be about that. @Damfino thank you for reminding us.
    Happy Thanks giving

14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :ty::bighug:

The goat spot is like family.
    Our members are the best. :)

luvmyherd, happybleats, Kass and 5 others like this.
  15. Oliveoil

Oliveoil Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2019
    Wisconsin
    A big blow recently from 2020. I tested for cae for the first time this fall and 6 of 8 goats are positive. Which is an unfortunate but not completely unexpected result. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. Sigh. Now i am working on a game plan for what to do with them. But putting a positive spin on it this gives me the opportunity to build a solid base for my french alpine herd and will be buying some does i likely wouldnt have otherwise.

16. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

17. AlabamaGirl

Jun 18, 2020
    Southeast
    I couldn't imagine almost all my goats getting CAE... Do you know how it was introduced to your farm?

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  18. Oliveoil

Oliveoil Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2019
    Wisconsin
    Well we got into goats when i was 12 i am now 16. My parents werent experienced with goats and we got kids from a local commercial dairy untested. The 2 goats from there have it and one of this does dam raised twins also have it. Then another doe i was given has it and her yearling dam raised daughter is neg soo? Then a doe kid i was gifted has it which didnt surprise me. I am planning to retest everyone and talk to my vet before final decisions are made but will likely end up with 1 of the 8 i currently have this time next year. Alas my newbie mistakes finally caught up to me. I guess i had braced myself for some pos. Didnt expect this many though!

MadHouse, AlabamaGirl, Kass and 2 others like this.
  19. luvmyherd

luvmyherd Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    NorCal
    It has taken me quite a while to read all of these posts. I appreciate each and every one. I just read an article today stating how gratitude is the best treatment for stress. Seems to be true.
    I want to express my condolences to all who have suffered tragic loss. We have been fairly lucky that all we have had to deal with lately is the stress that has become 2020.
    I missed my goats and other livestock more than ever since we had to spend so much time at home. They really have the knack of lifting my spirits.
    Our own apocalypse actually started in April of 2019. We were finally retired and were looking forward to spending most of our time traveling. We were actually away when we got news that Rod's mom had a heart attack. By the time we were able to get home they had fixed her heart and diagnosed her with dementia. Yes, they did heart surgery on a 95yo with dementia! We became totally responsible for her due to other relatives bailing on us.
    Well this is already too long. I will continue later and try to condense it some.