Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goathiker, Nov 11, 2020.

1. AlabamaGirl

AlabamaGirl Active Member

Jun 18, 2020
    Southeast
    That's a real shame that they baled on her... I really hope things have and continue to go relatively well for you and your family especially with the diagnosis.

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  2. AlabamaGirl

Jun 18, 2020
    Southeast
    That's a shame, newbie mistakes caught up with us big time which was a factor in us having to sell our goats off. What're y'all going to do with them if they test positive again?

3. Oliveoil

Oliveoil Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2019
    Wisconsin
    Not sure yet. Im considering salebarn but also questioning if it is the right thing to do.

4. AlabamaGirl

Jun 18, 2020
    Southeast
    I think it depends on how you look at it, if they do test positive you could find a home/shelter for them.

5. Coko

Coko Member

Mar 18, 2019
    Santa Ysabel ca
    Yes these are Minuature Silky Fainting Goats. The sweetest creatures on the planet Their names are, From top to bottom:
    Jumpin Jack Flash
    Ziggy Stardust
    Ruby Tuesday
    Baba O’Riley

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  6. Coko

Coko Member

Mar 18, 2019
    Santa Ysabel ca
    Yup

7. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I am so so sorry to everyone who lost a loved one this year :(
    here is mine

January: My friend since we were very little got into the wrong group of people and was doing things I didnt agree with, so, we stopped talking (i know sounds pitiful, but when you're young like me, it does suck. Im glad it happened though)
    February: My dog died
    March: archie, one of my goats died
    April: all 3 of crickets babies were born dead ( i think this is kinda when my depressive state started)
    may: Delta, one of my first dairy goats died (still havent gotten over that one)
    September: i turned 14
    November: my uncle and his whole family got covid, and my uncle was hospitalized for 3 days. luckily he is ok

June-now hasn't been so bad, or I've forgotten anything else mostly because ive pretty much been isolating my self from everybody but my close friends, family, and of course animals. I don't care much for anyone else anyways lol. I just don't have the energy to go out and talk to others. That's also why I've been so inactive here. Sitting at the computer for school keeps me away from the computer during my free time. I visit often, just don't post much. Ive picked up alot of hobbies to keep me busy other than the goats. Ive been making soap like crazy, plus, started painting, knitting again, and just recently embroidering. Also nursed a calf back to heath as most of yall know! He is doing well! Ive also kinda just realized i may have been/ currently stuck in a depressive episode like a couple days ago lol. I ve talked to my mom and friends about it and my friends say they are feeling the same way, so its nice knowing im not alone.
    today, to make sure my goats dont suffer from my current mental state, i deep cleaned their stall, and got everyone on the stand and did a checkup so to speak. Everyone is doing well, but the open ones are due for vaccines. Dont worry, iv been keeping up with hooves, famachas, copper, etc. But they also need more selenium. to be fair, im always stuggling with selenium. And i gotta find a cobalt block. Everyone is doing well, and that makes me happy :) so does this colder weather, and the fact that Christmas is right around the corner!

8. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

I love all that stuff too! Never made soap, but I really want to.

I'm sorry you've been feeling so depressed. It's a real depressing world out there right now. We all have to believe it will get better. :hug:

9. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Here is.my 2020 highlight for the entire year. Chevani recieved awards at school for all jer subjects over 80%. With everything my child has gone through, she held steadfast and pushed through. I am a super proud momma.

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  11. luvmyherd

luvmyherd Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    NorCal
    Well, I don't want to make this a my year was worse than yours post. It is obvious that we have all had some really tough times.
    Rod's mom has taken up a lot of our energy. We tried for years to get her assets into our names but she gave all the power to her sister who then denied she had power of attorney. The upside is that we did get her into a home near us and have most of the legal issues worked out.
    Just as Christmas was upon us last year; our son in law was hospitalized. Before he was released he had several heart attacks and a quadruple bypass. We nearly lost him and he is still not well.
    In January I finally had the hip replacement I had to postpone due to all the other stuff. The upside is that nearly a year later I am getting along well and have almost no pain.
    Then this virus thing started hitting the news. Our granddaughter's visit from Seattle had to be cancelled. All of our travel plans were put on hold.
    In trying to make the best of things; we decided to raise some meat birds. We only wanted 20 but the least we could order was 25. All but 7 of them arrived dead. The company was great and refilled our order. Final up shot being we ended up with 37 chickens to butcher and find freezer space for.
    The better stuff is coming up.

12. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Once you see it and talk about it, it gets better! The sharing is a huge part! Like you said, you realize you are not alone. Thanks for sharing!
    :bighug:

toth boer goats and GoofyGoat like this.
  13. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    This years been crazy that’s for sure. @Nigerian dwarf goat you’re not alone, my daughter has been dealing with depression too. She’s normally an out and about type and being on lockdown and having to do her courses online has taken their toll on her.
    For me, it’s been a really rough year physically. In early May I dislocated my knee and broke all three bones in an accident and I’m still not able to walk for more than a few steps. I’m very grateful that I still have my leg though because 80% of people with this injury lose their legs. It’s created a lot of challenges and completely drained ALL of My retirement savings since I haven’t been able to work. At almost 60 my future is scary. However, my grandkids are coming for Christmas and that’s got me so excited I can’t contain myself :) it’s been over a year since I’ve seen them. So 2020 will end better than it began! Here’s to a better 2021!

14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  15. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    I just read through the thread and I’m so sorry for everyone’s losses and difficult times.

Compared to a lot of you all, we’ve had an ok year, certainly not without challenges. I’ve spent 5 months on clinical service in the hospital and it’s been rough. Not much to do for Covid pts, but overall our patients have been very very sick. Lots of rapids and codes. I’ve lost more patients than usual. It’s very demoralizing and exhausting. Lost my grandma in June, not covid related but she wasn’t allowed to have visitors until the very end due to restrictions.

Goat wise, we’ve made improvements and grown our herd, and are coming up with an actual business plan. We’re working on a barn extension (almost done) so we can run more does. Also got a Simple Pulse milker, so might start milk testing next year or the year after.

We did lose our old boxer in October. We adopted a 6 month old supposedly lab mix (looks very much like a lab). Did DNA testing and he’s all the breeds we were trying to avoid for a family dog on a farm (border collie, Aussie, beagle, am staff, am bulldog, pointer, and six other breeds) and you can definitely see those breeds come out in his personality. He is a total pain (steals shoes and all sorts of things, gets into everything, tried to kill a chicken that got out) but he is super sweet and good with my kids. He’ll be a great dog once we get a handle on him, but he’s definitely not the lab mix we were looking for.

toth boer goats and MadHouse like this.