The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
DISCLAIMER only people who know my herd and what they look like will know who (what goats) I'm talking about.

I know its early. I really do lol. I have always liked to have an idea at least 10 months earlier so I can change it as my herd changes. I know when next breeding season rolls around, I will more then likely change a few things around. But I like to have a base line as an idea as to what our next breeding season will look like, so I can plan ahead of time.

Last night I put together Aug-Oct-2022 breeding plans for our current herd. Remember, these are
subjected to change.

We are THINKING we are going to allow Wally to have most of the does.

Wally's doe(s)-
Betsy, Grace, Fawn, Taffy, Salem, Oakley, Spinky, Scarlett, Sparrow, Casper (if Casper is still on our farm then.)

Jasper's doe(s)-
Francine, May, Annie

Gizmo- No does. Sorry boy lol.. Ive seen enough Gizmo kids for a year..lol

Duke's doe- Cupcake.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
5,165 Posts
Gizmo and Wally are your only Nigerian bucks right? If so you may want to consider breeding some does to Gizmo so that you can offer buyers unrelated Nigerian or Nigerian cross does. That is valuable to some people, especially when starting their own herds. Other than that, I think it sounds like a good plan!

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gizmo and Wally are your only Nigerian bucks right? If so you may want to consider breeding some does to Gizmo so that you can offer buyers unrelated Nigerian or Nigerian cross does. That is valuable to some people, especially when starting their own herds. Other than that, I think it sounds like a good plan!
Well, Gizmo is Grace and Betsys sire so they definitely will NOT be being bred to Gizmo lol. Next breeding season I plan on keeping most of my bucklings for meat. So id be selling mostly only the females. But yeah like I said things are subjected to change as I am considering breeding Daisy and another doe to him so he has a little fun lol..

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, Gizmo is Grace and Betsys sire so they definitely will NOT be being bred to Gizmo lol. Next breeding season I plan on keeping most of my bucklings for meat. So id be selling mostly only the females. But yeah like I said things are subjected to change as I am considering breeding Daisy and another doe to him so he has a little fun lol..
My family eats a LOT of meat lol😆 there's 7 of us lol

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
2,150 Posts
Ha! There's seven in my family as well!! 😄

I think you plans look good....I can almost picture everyone.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We have 7 too! 😆

If your planning on putting goats in the freezer, is Wally the faster grower of the two? You might as well get bigger kids if you are going to butcher.
You see Idk how fast Gizmo growed because we got him grown.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay so pans have changed.....

We no longer have Francine and are finding Taffy a home. So they are put of the plans. And we are adding two does so yay! Also, we will be studing out two bucks for a couple of the does! They are my friends bucks.

My friends bucks and our does they will breed-

Frodo- Grace

Samwise- Daisy
___

Wally-
Betsy, Fawn, Scarlett, Sparrow, Luna, Casper (if Casper is still on our farm then.) If Casper is still here that would be 6

We want to buy another Nigerian buck to breed to Spinky and Oakley. If we can't find one by then they will get bred by Wally. So Wally (might) get to have 8 does...

Jasper- Annie, May, Salem. we are getting two more Nubian does and they will be bred by Jasper too. So a total of 5 does

Duke- Cupcake. 1 doe

Gizmo, sorry boy lol .... No does for you lol

·
Registered
*Gotta love ‘em kids!*
1,174 Posts
Your so hard to keep track of @Lil Boogie! Excited to see all your kiddos this spring!

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
2,332 Posts
We have 7 here too! It was 8 til my oldest had to go off and get married hahaha.

I make loose plans for the next year all the time. But they are very loose as it all depends on what I keep that year. So I am currently waiting for all mine to be born to see what I'm keeping, but I have ideas of what I would want to keep. Then I made some plans based on that. LOL. But it's just an idea. It usually turns out differently as the herd has changed by then or kids don't come out the way I planned.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We have 7 here too! It was 8 til my oldest had to go off and get married hahaha.

I make loose plans for the next year all the time. But they are very loose as it all depends on what I keep that year. So I am currently waiting for all mine to be born to see what I'm keeping, but I have ideas of what I would want to keep. Then I made some plans based on that. LOL. But it's just an idea. It usually turns out differently as the herd has changed by then or kids don't come out the way I planned.
Omg! Welcome to the 7 gang😂

I gotcha! I am in the same situation lol. If I get a great buck out of Annie that will change who I breed Salem to. So we in the same boat lol. I can't help but make plans! Because by the time I make up my mind it's already breeding season again😳..

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, plans have changed AGAIN lol.

First off, RIP Duke.. my plans with him obviously have to change, because he is no longer with us...

We have decided that breeding ALL the does this year (once the youngens were big enough) would be too much for us to handle. So we won't be breeding Fawn, Betsy, Grace, Mocha and Nova and Luna. We Might breed Luna depending on how she matures from now till next breeding season. We have also decided we will no be using my friends bucks this year, but next year we probably will. I've decided that Gizmo can have a or two does since he made such a BEAUTIFUL doeling with Sparrow this season, He hath redeemed himself lol

So, this is what we came up with. This number of does works out for us, it's still a lot but we can handle it.

Wally- Scarlett, Sparrow, Oakley, Salem, Daisy, possibly Luna if she is mature enough. 5 possibly 6 does depending on Luna.

Gizmo- Spinky (that's it so far BUT he might end up getting Oakley, doubt it but it's possible.) 1 MAYBE two l. But I'm going with one.

Jasper- Annie, May, Cupcake. 3 does

In total (not counting Luna) we would have 10 bred does and 5 (counting Luna) unbred does.

As of now Garnet isn't in the breeding plans, for obvious reasons lol... He is a baby and I dont think he'll mature enough to breed by the , but I could be wrong lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts