The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doe has gotten diarrhea for about 4 days now. I gave her some ivromec and Bose about two days ago. She shouldn't have been due for about another 3-4 week's. However came out this morning to a dead baby on the ground. Any ideas what could have went wrong?

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She weighs 118 I gave her 2ml of ivromec and Bose. Her temp has spiked to 105 gave her 6 2ml of antibiotics assuming she has some sort of infection causing her to have graver, just can't figure out why she would have aborted

· Administrator
96,026 Posts
She may of been slammed by another goat or may of picked up an aborting disease. There are a few things, as to why they abort, but only testing the fetus will determine what it actually was.

With Ivomec, it is 1cc per 33lbs orally, then 10 days later, she was underdosed if she is 118 lbs.

With Bo--se, it is best to give less, then more because overdosing can kill her, so 2 cc's was OK.

What antibiotics did you give her? You might be underdosing her there to, unsure.

Does she smell bad in her vulva area, if so, it is infection, do a sniff test. If not it may be pneumonia.

I agree to get a fecal for cocci and worms.

· Super Moderator
36,683 Posts
Im sorry she aborted..I agree with whats been said, with the fever I would suspect some kind of infection, perhaps the baby was dead a while.. be sure there is not another baby in there...continue antibiotics for 5-7 days...keep her hydrated and if she is still runny, pepto to help dry her up and calm her tummy...if its very watery cd antitoxin until she thickens up, no grain for now as well...

· Super Moderator
16,603 Posts
Sorry about you kid :(. I would send the fecal in but since you already wormed her it might not show what or if the worms caused the issue to abort. Have you ever had a doe abort before??? Do you still have bred does to kid out??? Clahymidiah is a std that causes abortion for that time frame, the runs, and resp. Infection. Don't let me freak you out it could be other things as well but if you have another abort save the fetus and send it in.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice, we are on the second dose of antibiotics and her poop is getting solid again. She is getting her appetite back too, so at least she seems on the mend. I have 4 does left to kid out, I'm hoping no more problems for the rest of the year. Losing a baby right off the bat is making for a sad start to the season.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.