The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

I had a cocci outbreak after one of my does kidded. She had clumpy poop and I was already concerned about about another doe in milk. She wasn't eating as well and hair looked crappy on all 3 adults. Famacha wasn't great in 2 adults.

I dosed everyone with torturazil Thursday with the exception of the one due to kid this week. (will dose her right after) Kids are 3 weeks old/no symptoms at all.

Everyone's been feeling great, running around playing and famacha soooooooooo much better. Poop began to return to normal and just overall, you could tell the adults felt good.

I also bought a bag of medicated feed with rumensin in it to give to the one that was showing signs of rumen issues before discovering it was cocci after all. Wrong lab results on cocci. She's doing well on it and will discontinue it in a couple or so weeks... Not sure about this part yet but she's in milk and I don't want to leave her on a medicated feed. There are no studies I can find regarding rumensin/monensin's effects on people consuming milk with this. I do see where they've begun to use it in dairy cattle...

My question is regarding the poop clumpy again... if it doesn't clear up fully within a couple days should I redose with the torturazil? And if so how much? Should I redose now?

I purchased my own microscope, it should be here this week. The fecal tests don't always come back accurate.

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Be sure it isn't cocci, get a fecal done.

Lush grasses, feed change or increase and it seems like does who just kid, have soft poo for a while after.
Thank you. I've had fecal done and low count but think it bloomed with the kidding and weather. I have a microscope on the way. This is the 2nd time in just over a year I've almost lost one from inaccurate fecals reports...

·
Super Moderator
32,192 Posts
I agree..a fecal is wise. I like sending them to meadowmist labs.. they give a count of each parasite egg found. Just want to Make sure your not medicating unnecessarily.
I wouldnt use meditated feed for milkers.
Probiotics may help straighten up soft poop.

Reactions: Aasiya and Pepper

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I totally agree with the fecals. Thus the microscope on the way. Have you ever had any issues with labs? Seems all issues go bonkers. The first vet I used came back with no issues on fecals. It didn't feel right, girls didn't look or act great so sent in another one, different lab. Came back with def needing to worm.. (this was over a year ago) It may be the lab I'm using and if I fail at microscope 101 I'll use the lab you suggested. Thank you!!!

I give probios in a small amount of feed daily. I figure if my gut can get into a mess and probiotics help.. they have more than I do lol.

I'll keep watching the poop and be sure all are doing well. Never have had this before. I was told my pens are really clean so not sure the whats' and hows.

That part of medicated feed... was hoping a couple weeks helped her rumen settle and so far.. so good. I sure don't want to leave her on it even if not in milk if I can help it.

I agree..a fecal is wise. I like sending them to meadowmist labs.. they give a count of each parasite egg found. Just want to Make sure your not medicating unnecessarily.
I wouldnt use meditated feed for milkers.
Probiotics may help straighten up soft poop.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Be sure it isn't cocci, get a fecal done.

Lush grasses, feed change or increase and it seems like does who just kid, have soft poo for a while after.
PS. We have no pasture as of yet. We've broken records for cold like crazy. Today hit 84 for a few minutes today with yet another snow storm coming in Thursday. They've been penned up more than normal. We've gone through more bedding than feed by far... Odd weather... I'm sure this isn't helping. Gosh if you have green pastures I'm heading your way :)

·
Super Moderator
32,192 Posts
Some vets don't do a great fecal job..or at best you get a treat don't treat answer. I have only used 2 labs..both seemed good. MidAmerica labs and Meadowmist. I like meadowmist because you get exact count of what your dealing with and it's only $6 a test!!

Reactions: Pepper

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update:

I got my microscope. I did find a good bit of cocci in the stools I saved in the fridge pre dose. I used fiasco farms method. I had more trouble reading the McMasters slide. (I wont tell ya'll I forgot the samples were in the fridge they were in there! Great to forget something that comes in handy:heehee: it worked out great lol. My mom has been very ill and some things just don't get done.)

All goats are doing well, even my pet problem goat. I'm glad she's the only one I struggle with. I won't breed her due to the issues she always has. The temp feed with rumensin did something. I don't know what.... but I was desperate after months of her going anemic on me. I don't believe there's a base I have not covered and she's really a pet more than a milk goat. She's not getting more than 1/4 cup of dairy feed on the stand now and rumensin feed has stopped. Maybe it's the function it has to increase one area and decrease the acidosis etc. Again, I don't know. I read up on every article I could find for two weeks and finally tried it.

I'm going to also send in fecals to the lab Happybleat suggested and double check what I've found. I do think the kidding set off an increased load of cocci. Everyone is bright pink and maintaining good health:coolmoves:

The herd is clean tested this year. IF I continue to have issues with pet goat... is there any other tests you would suggest having run? Any other one I would say bye to, but not this girl.

:bighug:

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some vets don't do a great fecal job..or at best you get a treat don't treat answer. I have only used 2 labs..both seemed good. MidAmerica labs and Meadowmist. I like meadowmist because you get exact count of what your dealing with and it's only $6 a test!!
Posting this here in case :) https://www.meadowmistlabservice.com/

·
Super Moderator
32,192 Posts
is there any other tests you would suggest having run? Any other one I would say bye to, but not this girl.
Some goats are more problematic then others. Boosting immunity may help with raw garlic and daily probiotics...gut health is key. May even try a few rounds of dark beer with her probiotics. Darker the better..room temp. About 6 oz.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some goats are more problematic then others. Boosting immunity may help with raw garlic and daily probiotics...gut health is key. May even try a few rounds of dark beer with her probiotics. Darker the better..room temp. About 6 oz.
I'll try that. Thank you! I give probios in feed daily. Dark beer... ok!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.