The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doe kidded at 2 this afternoon. One nice buckling. He has been trying to nurse but she just keep walking away from him. She cleaned him and is talking to him and lays with him but when he goes after the teat she just steps over him and moves away. How long do I let this go on. She is a 2 year old first freshener. My plan is to let her raise him and separate at nights after two weeks. thanks

·
Registered
29,973 Posts
check her udder...is it tight ?? could be she hurts...I would milk her and feed him a bottle to get him started..he needs colostrum..once her udder is loose and he has food you have bought some time to get him nursing..I would not leave him without nursing...

·
Super Moderator
58,223 Posts
I will give a shot of Banamine if they seem to be in too much pain to let kids nurse. You also can just hold her and let the kid nurse. If you can't do those things, then you need to milk her and bottle feed him the colostrum.

·
14,615 Posts
Tie that doe up short, make sure teats are unplugged & get that kid on his mama.
I wouldnt try getting him to take bottle it is crucial he gets his colostrum even if you have to tube feed or syringe it down him.
Put him to the teats, tickle his behind. When he wags that tail you will know he's latched on but he needs your help ASAP.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I tried to hold her and put him up to the teat. He will not suck now. Not even try. so I milked her out some- not completely- and no easy task that was- she laid down, she screamed, she kicked, she danced. But my daughter held her up and I got about two cups from her. Put it in a bottle with a prictard nipple and stuck it in his mouth. Nothing- would NOT suck. I gently rubbed his throat- NOPE that did not work either. So I squeezed the bottle. When his mouth filled up he would swollow but still sont suck. Got about an ounce in him. Now what?!?

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
its been to long he is getting weak from lack of nutrition. You now need to tube him!!!! This is very important!

if you cant tube him then you need to slowly syringe feed him 30-60cc (thats 1-2 ounces) of colostrum. He needs this ASAP!!

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
also check his temp - if its below 101 then dont give milk/colostrum

get his temp back up first.

Also some sugar/energy boosting things can be done. A little coffee (1-3cc) and some karo mixed together and syringed to him will perk him up.

Sucking reflex is lost when their bodies havent had nourishment for this long

·
Registered
29,973 Posts
make sure his temp is above 100...if it is put honey on your finger and place it far back on his tongue to activate his sucking reflex...do this several times until he has a good strong suck..have a warm bottle ready with honey on the nipple..now get him on your honey covered finger again and get him sucking good...slip the nipple in..he will taste the honey first andbegin sucking..then then milk...this works great but be patient..might take a time or two...

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I temped him last night and it was 101.6. Syringed some more colustrum into him at 9 and 11. Went out at 2am and he did not act hungry but syringed him some more. Now at 7 this morning he still does not act like he is hungry- his mouth is wet, sides are not shrunk in- but not distended either (pretty much straight back from the ribs to the hip). I watched a while and he goes up to her teat and once even latched on but then let go. she is standing better for him also. I put her on the stand and milked out about 10 ounces (she still has lots in there). Still not impressed with that. So how do I know if he is just not hungry? Or if I need to continue to syringe feed him?

·
Registered
29,973 Posts
have you noticed if he is pooping? should have seen the sticky black poop by now....

Im thinking he's eating..if his tummy is not sunken and he has energy. Hows his suck reflex??

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He had a yellowish brown poop last night at 9 I think and have not seen anything since. He walks around and talks to his mama and lays down with his head up like all the adults do. He fights me when I try to shove that forsaken nipple in his face! Tail wags when mom cleans him. He will suck my finger but NOT that bottle!
I will weigh him...

·
Registered
29,973 Posts
lol..they dont like being forced to the teat for sure...I would keep record of his weight to be sure he is growing..watch his tummy for the day..if he is active and alert..I wouldnt make him nurse..Keep a very close eye on his tummy to be sure he is not sunken in..sounds to me he is nursing....a bit of B complex will help his energy and appititie as well

if you end up needing to bottle feed him..start with a bit of honey on your finger...place it far back onis tongue to get the sucking reflexed going...have a warm bottle with honey on the nipple ready..once he is going well on your finger slip the nipple in..he will taste the honey first and begin sucking...might take a few times but it works..but hopefully you wont need to bottle feed..but just in case...

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just got back in from watching them again. He was nursing off of her! Acted like he knew exactly what he was doing too. I let my herd queen in to see the reaction of all and he hopped over to mama and latched right on. She even moved her leg back for him. :) I will still weigh him and watch him but hopefully we have this whipped. thank you ladies for all you advice

·
Registered
29,973 Posts
awesome news : ) sometimes they just need a bit of time...

as a side note:
when I have a difficult mom or baby struggling to nurse I always milk a bit out of mom to give the baby a good start...then work on the nursing issue...this way baby doesnt gorw weak while this bonding time is worked out : )

·
Registered
29,973 Posts
If my kids arent nursing in 30 minutes I jump in...I have never had a mom reject her kid after I got them started..I always use moms milk/colostrum so they smell like her...with each hour that passes the baby grows weak..and the area germs and bacteria are beingging ot invade them..they need moms antibodies to proctect them As soon as possible..so yep..jump in...get them started...enough to keep them strong while you help them nurse..: )

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,072 Posts
I like to get them to nurse within 30 minutes as well, it gives them energy. I had two kids this year that I syringed some into their mouths. One was Little Guy -- he couldn't figure out how to suck and would NOT take the bottle. I'm telling you I've had some tough kids to bottle but he took the cake. Had to shove some down his throat. :laugh: After that he learned how to suck. Funny thing is, now he's my bottle baby and follows me for "baba". ;)

The second, Miracle Max, was a little bit of a dunce. :laugh: Again, just squirted a bit in his mouth, a few ccs, to give him a power punch. After that he got it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts