3/12/09 After the kids have arrived

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by sparks879, Mar 12, 2009.

1. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

What do you all do after your kids are on the ground? How much do you help mom after the birth? To bottle feed or to dam raise and why?

What shots do your kids getand why?

What (if any) do you do for cocci prevention?

Selling suggestions, and what do you do with all those bucks?

Remember there is not right or wrong way....just what works for each person.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    What do you all do after your kids are on the ground? How much do you help mom after the birth? To bottle feed or to dam raise and why? Oh boy thats a lot of question right there. I dont do much after kids hit the ground besides cleaning them off and making sure they eat. I dont help mom unless she is pushing for 30min to an hour without progress then I do interven as needed. All my kids are dam raised unless special issues arise. It is just easier on me due to work and I love watching the interaction between mom and kids. Also I dislike the bottle baby personalities. Teaching bottle babies to be a goat and to eat hay, grain and drink water out of the bucket takes longer.

What shots do your kids get and why? I give the CD/T Toxoid shot at 9 weeks and 12 weeks. I am going ot start giving the CD antitoxin at 4 weeks or younger due to a possible case of enterotoxemia here last year. He wasnt even old enough for his CD/T shot and he died. :(

What (if any) do you do for cocci prevention? all kids are drenched with Corid for 5 days starting at 4 weeks old or younger depending if they are showing signs of cocci or not a younger age

Selling suggestions, and what do you do with all those bucks? I love http://www.goatfinder.com http://www.goatseeker.com but my all time favorite..........MY WEBSITE! I strongly suggest you make one; a free option at http://www.webs.com, and then give it key words and meta tags so search engines can catigorize you correctly. Also make your website at least 6 months to a year before you plan to start selling so that search engines have the time to find you and get you in their system. Tell people about your site, have them do searches for it and see how it ranks. Keep it updated! like at least once a month. Note when you last updated it as there are many outdated websites out there and the active ones will draw people in. Keep it simple but attractive and inviting. Give tidbits about your farm, your goats and your goals an keep current pictures of your goats. Bucks: I sell minis so selling wethers as pets is pretty simple. I have a page on my site that is dedicated to "why a wether" that way when people ask for just pets and all I have are bucklings I direct them there and let them make the decision. It is very helpful - just becareful dont persued someone to get a wether before kids are born or you may end up with them not wanting to get a doeling and if you have a doe year......thats just frustrating LOL so best to leave the persuading till after kidding season is done or you see a lot of boys being born. I do also sell some as bucks

3. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

i try and make it a point to be there for each and every kidding. Id rather be there an not be needed then not be there and have a problem. I choose to bottle raise kids every year. While i do strictly test for CAE and CL every year i dont heat treat colostrum and pasturize milk as i feel it kills the good stuff along with the bad. So far we are all CAE and CL free. I let my does keep their kids for a few minutes cleaning them up, this is so i know they know how to do it. I do work fourty to fifty hours a week and im bound to not be there for someone. i have seen does drop their kids and then walk away leaving the kid to get cold and die. I usually take the kids twenty to thirty minutes later. The does usually cry for a few minutes but they quickly get over it.
    They get colostrum and a navel dip in iodine or batidine scrub.
    Kids all get a shot of Bo-e about two hours after birth.
    For the next couple of days the kids get fed a bottle off a lamb bar nipple. This makes it easier to switch them to the bucket. I put a few drops of sulmet in their milk from one week to weaning every other day as a cocci prevention. mature animals also get a treatment about april.
    Having alpines i can disbud as early as twenty four hours old. and i usually do so between one and three days. i give them a bottle after and they are fine. at four weeks they get their first CD/T shot as well as tattooed. The second of the three CD/t shots is done at eight weeks and the third at twelve. If i have any bucks at this time they are also starting the weaning process. I very rarely keep bucks past eight weeks, they have either found a pet home as whethers or have gone to someone for meat. I have a guy in my area that rehabilitates raptors, and he buys most of my buck kids at one month of age and bottle feeds them till about three months. He then lets them graze his five acre field until he is ready to butcher them and feed to his birds. a harsh reality for some kids. But i know he takes good care of them until the end. And i would rather see them go to that then to someone as a pet and end up in the wrong hands.
    As for the doe kids i usually only have seven or eight a year at the very most as i have a small herd. I keep all of them and if size allows i breed them as yearlings. I see a dry yearling as a waste of money, I like to get an idea of what that udder id going to look like in the first year, i know they can get better with age but if a doe doesnt come up to standard in her first year then i try and get a doe kid out of her and sell her. If she doesnt have any doe kids she may get to stick around until i get one, but that depends on how many yearlings i end up keeping. I only have room for about fourteen animals including two bucks.
    beth

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    What do you all do after your kids are on the ground? How much do you help mom after the birth? To bottle feed or to dam raise and why?
    Well once their ligs go I usually live in the barn. Once they get down to buisness I step in and make sure the kid is positioned right. If so then I let her push the kid out, suction the nose, then put them up by their dam so she can help clean and dry the kid off. Once the kid gets to standing I dip their navel and help them find the teat. Once they get colostrum I sit back, relax, and let mom and kid/kids bond.

I only dam raise unless the dam is too sick to feed her kids or dies. I feel I can dam raise because my goats have been tested for cae and cl and have come up negative.

What shots do your kids get and why?

CDT

What (if any) do you do for cocci prevention?

None. I just treat if I need to. Last year I fed medicated feed, but I don't really like how they grew with that feed. So when they do get cocci I am just going to treat with Albon.

Wether them!! lol. Well most of them. Good bucks I try to sell as bucks, but if someone comes along and wants a wether then I will wether them. As far as I am concerned there are way too many bucks running around.

5. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I clear noses and mouths, dry them off a bit, dip navels, and make sure they are nursing mom. If one seems particularly slow finding the teat, I milk out some colostrum and feed them with a syringe or pritchard teat. Mom always gets as much warm molasses water as she wants, some fresh alfalfa hay, and maybe a little grain if she is interested.
    I let all kids dam-raise unless a special situation arises. Don't care for bottle-babies too much and our herd tested negative for CAE and CL - purchased goats from only negative herds.

What shots do your kids get and why?I don't want to vaccinate but feel that I need to. . . mostly for those people who are newer with goats, just in case their goat gets into the grain bucket or whatever (it can happen to anyone though). Vaccinate for CD&T. Considering the vaccination for Pasturella as I feel it is more of a problem than some people think. . . Babies that are kept in our herd are often never vaccinated and do perfectly fine without it.

What (if any) do you do for cocci prevention?Treat as necessary. I typically use Di-Methoxx for five days.

Having a website is a great way to sell kids. Also put ads on CraigsList, goatfinder, and other places. I put flyers in feedstores too.
    I wether most buck kids to sell as pets. I could never have enough wethers to sell!! A lot of people have been contacting me for wether kids and some I have to turn some people down because I will simply not have enough born. None of our wether kids go for meat - pets only and I make sure it is a wonderful home.

6. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    For our Nubian goats, all births are attended and all kids are pulled immediately. When they are born We clean their mouth/nose and then put them in totes (Usually another one is coming so we have to move fast.) Once in the totes they are taken from the kidding room. If it's nice out, we'll stay in the barn while we clean the mucous from the kids. If it's cold, they go straight to the house and then cleaned/dried. If we clean them in the barn, they then go to the house.

We get 20oz of colostrum down the kids during the first 12 hours. They get the navels and hooves sprayed with 7% iodine, they get a bose shot the day they are born also (1/2cc for Nubians 1/4cc for pygmys) and they get a vit e capsule 1x a day for week. After the 12 hours, we get them switched to 4x a day feeding, giving them all the want for 3-4 weeks. At 3-4 weeks, if I think they are growing well enough, I'll switch them to 3x a day feeding, again, giving them all the want. At 3-4weeks we also put up a hay feeder for them and put out a small bucket of water for them.

My plan is to continue the 3x a day feedings until they are 6-8 weeks old. Then switch them to 2x a day until 12 weeks and then 1x a day until 14-16weeks, depending on how much hay/grain they are eating and how well they are growing.

All the kids this year are growing very nicely. I am pleased with their progress.

I want good healthy growthy kids for showing. We rather have our does kidding out in Jan/Feb. The kids seem to do much better.

We do practice CAE prevention, that's the reason the kids are pulled. So we heat treat colostrum and pasturize milk for them. We also practice coccidia prevention. I'd rather prevent it then deal with it when it hits.

The kids are kept up to date on their bose shots and worming (We use Ivermectin & Moxidectin). The kids are also vaccinated with cd/t and pasturella vaccines. All of the show goats that go on the road with us are kept up to date on everything because of the stress of moving from show to show.