3 day old baby very congested!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by sixshooterfarm, Aug 29, 2008.

1. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    I have a 3 day old little girl who has goopy eyes and is very very congested. You can see she does not feel very well. LA 200 or penn G? I need to get this before it takes her downhill.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    does she have a high temp?

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Get a temp first, I've not ever used the la200, but have used the peng , is she eating? Try a bit of nutridrench too, it can't hurt.

4. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I can't offer any advice as I have no experience with sick babies. Luckily mine stayed healthy.
    Good luck with her and I hope she gets better.
    Andi

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would use Pen G that should work.

6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Just curious why you say Pen-G? Is LA200 for respiratory? Can you not give it to a baby that young? Just curious. . . .

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I feel safer for a 3 day old baby giving the pen G as their bodies have not built up a resistance and Pen G is an broad spectram antibiotic. Yes LA 200 kicks butt faster and more effective in most cases but with the sting factor and how strong it is I just felt safer suggesting the Pen

8. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Biomycin is the non sting form of LA200. Tou can use that instead. Its availiable right next to the LA200 in the feed store.
    Andi

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes I am aware of that. But do to her post
    I was giving advise based on what she asked --- as she wanted to give the shot ASAP I didnt want to be saying, go get something from the feed store. Sometimes advise has to be talored to the situation and what is available to the member at that moment.

I agree that the biomycin is better then LA 200 and how easy it is to aquire.

10. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    I always thot that Pen G doenst cover respitory..Not as good as La200 or Biomycin??...yes the LA stings bad.
    But I also relaize you have to use what you have on hand.

I think I would use Pen g rather than LA 200 in such a little one.
    If you have any Vetrx or even human vicks to put a dab on her nose too. Hope she feels better soon!!

11. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    How is the little girl doing???

12. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    That's good to know Crocee, I didn't know about the Biomycin, thanks for sharing. How is the little baby doing?

13. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    wow sounded like everyone was is a debating mood lol. I gave her a shot of Penn G and she is happy as happy can be. Penn G does cover resperatory, just not as well as la 200. but it was a 3 day old baby and I too felt that la was a tad strong for such a little baby and honestly I dident want to hear her screaming over the la, so I gave her pen g and she was great within the matter of hours. So thank you everyone!

14. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Oh that is wonderful news! Way to go!

15. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    That's great news! :cool: