3-day old Boer

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Whisper, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Whisper

Whisper New Member

Jul 19, 2010
    My doe gave birth three days ago to two bucks. The one she is taking care of wonderfully. He is immaculate and nursing like a little fiend. She seems to try to ignore the other kid, she lets him nurse but does not clean him at all. His has loose stool (yellow in color, pudding thickness) and I have given him Pepto. He keeps nursing but I am wondering if he is getting anything from her since he keeps knocking her udder. My question is can they only nurse one kid and ignore the other and should I bottle feed him and take him away from her??? Thanks for any suggestions you ladies may have. I am bringing him in the house and cleaning him all up this afternoon and seeing if that makes a difference. :help:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Sounds like you may want to try supplementing him with a bottle and cleaning him off. The mustered poo is normal I wouldn't be giving Pepto.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree...it sounds normal for a baby that young....
    Knocking the udder is normal too....they do that to help with milk letdown...

After you clean him up...smear some Vaseline on the area... that is getting messy...it makes it stick less... :wink:

4. Whisper

Whisper New Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Well, Ladies, I did as was suggested. Brought him 'screaming' into the house where he just looked all around the kitchen with huge eyes and shut up. It was amazing, to say the least. Got him all cleaned and greased up and offered him milk, which he would have NO part of. :) So I brought him back to his mom, put him down and she inspected him thorougly, making sure he had all his ears and legs and I hadn't taken anything that didnt belong to me and promptly did something she has never done; she began to clean him. First thing to come off was the vaseline and while she was cleaning I was being called every name in the goat dictionary. I just have one question...how many days will he have that pudding type stool? Again, my hats off to you and many, many thanks for your help. :stars:

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    What great news.... HeHe....momma goat ...will get over it...LOL... :laugh:

It can vary.. as the kid gets a little older...it should be better....you just don't want watery stool..... :greengrin:

6. Whisper

Whisper New Member

Jul 19, 2010
    :hair: Friends, here I go again....by the way the buckling I asked about the other day is doing great and Mama is just lovin him up and going to clean him til he disappears :leap: . But now to another problem, another buckling born yesterday (must have been a sale on them) up right away, walking after Mom, no apparent problems. Today; he is extremely weak, you put him on his feet and he just plops down again, also when he is on his feet his head wobbles back and forth. Plus she is not interested in nursing him (and she is a particularly excellent mom). She's cleaning him and talking to him but he is not getting up. I am suspecting 'floppy kid' so I gave him 'power punch' and a shot of B vitamins (didn't have thiamine alone here and my car is out of commission) and to top it all the vet is unavailable and others can't come til tomorrow. Any suggestions or, hate to say it, should I let nature take its course? Anyone know of anything else I might do? Not a good kidding season this year for me...so far two stillborns, and now this baby. Oh I also put a kid coat on him to make sure he stays warm. :GAAH:

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Give a bo-se and vit E....and nutradrench.... take the temp...to see if the baby is sub.... if the kid is sub... you will have to get the temp up to 100 degree's minimum ...then feed momma's milk.... even if ....you have to syringe feed it to the kid.... Also... you may have to actually hold the kid up... to feed off momma's teat.... I had a very weak kid like that once...I was out there every 2 hours feeding the kid..momma's teat...not the bottle or syringe...even through the night....I left her outside with mom...put a sweater on her...I also had a heat lamp...made sure... the lamp wasn't to low... to get the baby over hot....I had to do this for a week...and the lamp stayed on ...until that baby was doing well on her own......... I think it is caused by selenium deficiency.... give nutradrench daily... until the kid is strong....

8. Whisper

Whisper New Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Okay, got ya...I'm on my way and what a night ahead...it's pouring rain, with winds about 35-40 and freezing cold...the things we do for our goats. I'll let you know what happens. Thank you very much. :sigh:

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome...good luck... I am praying for your baby.... :hug: :pray:

10. Whisper

Whisper New Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Was with the baby til 2am this morning, wrapped him in a wool sweater and put him on a blanket when he went to sleep and he seemed to be improving. Went out first thing this morning and I thought he was dead, but then he gasped. He was soooo cold. Right now I am sitting on my couch with him under my robe with a small heater on both of us to warm him up. He still feels cold to the touch but his temp is almost normal. Giving him milk replacer drop by drop and hoping my friend can go into town for me and get more Nutridrench. I refuse to give up on the little guy. My chihuahua, Prissy, has taken over and tries to clean him. He seems to have a bit more strength, even got a couple of loud protests out of him. Thank you for your prayers, I'm sure they are helping. I'll keep you posted. :cry:

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Poor baby... glad you caught it in time....and the kid is OK....still praying... :hug: :pray:

12. Whisper

Whisper New Member

Jul 19, 2010
    I'm afraid to say I don't think my baby is going to make it. I just took his temp again and it is 95. This is with me holding him wrapped in a wool blanket with a heater blasting away on us. I've done all I know how to do, maybe his goat mom knew better than this feeble human when she didn't feed him. She has not cried once since I took him away this am, which since she is such a sterling mom is strange. I feel so helpless and inadequate. Please keep sending prayers this way as I still will pray for a miracle. Thank you all. :cry:

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Get a garbage bag.... fill up the sink with relatively warm water... not to hot....put the kid in the bag...with head peaking out the top...
    note: the kid will not get wet....submerge the bag... with the kid in it.... keep the head out of the water...don't let any water get into the bag....... make sure... you check the water for warmth and refresh it ...as needed..... to keep a steady temperature going.....after a while... recheck temp on kid..... repeat... until that temp is back to at least 100 degree's...or normal....
    when temp is at minimum of 100 degree's... feed the kid colostrum....this will help warm up the kid as well...

Also ..get whiskey or hard liquor.... mix equal parts karo, coffee and whiskey together and give 2-3cc... if you have no liquor...just give the other stuff... and skip the liquor... This treatment can be done at anytime... even before the temp is 100 degree's...

Don't feel bad.... it isn't your fault.... lets try to save this kid... there is always hope...with Prayer.. :hug: :pray:

14. thecowgurl

thecowgurl New Member

Mar 10, 2011
    I am going through this right now myself. Twins, lost one, won one. Good idea about the baby in the warm water. I normally use a hair dryer on low setting and a heating pad.

Here is what happened to mine. Sometimes when you feed them when they do not have a strong suck reflex (weak) or when you feed them when they are cold, the milk goes into the wrong stomach and can't be digested. That sets up toxins in their system.

Here's what I did. (see link below for reference)
    ****I rubbed molasses (Karo will work) inside her mouth for energy.
    ****I gave 2 cc's of Milk of Magnesia to help push the undigested milk out of their system. Do not feed anymore milk until her poops are normal. That is psychologically very difficult but must be done. They can live on Resorb a day or two or more.
    ****I gave 1 teaspoon of baking soda in 8 ounces of Resorb (WARM) by syringe in her mouth. Resorb doesn't have to be digested like milk so it doesn't matter which stomach it goes in. 60 cc's equal 2 ounces but just do the best you can. The main thing is to fight dehydration, acidosis, and electrolyte loss from scours. Tubing would be best if you can. I couldn't. Letting her swallow using a syringe is VERY time consuming but can be done. She hated it and fought me every swallow. Took me over an hour.
    ****I also had glycerin and gave 1 cc as an enema with a syringe. You can use mild WARM soapy water.

The main thing was to get the undigested milk out of it's system as soon as possible. I thought she was going to die last night. This morning, she was happy for her 2 ounces of Resorb/baking soda and actually took it in a bottle. She is up, hungry, talking and moving about. It worked for my scenario. She has not had milk in around 28 hours.

CD/T antitoxin (NOT toxoid) immediately if you can.

Here is the link to the article that lead me to this diagnosis and plan of action. It will explain the why's of it all. http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/artic ... ids06.html

I wish you the very best of luck. Pepto won't help move the stuff out. Mine was very very sick for 2 days and is much better overnight after that treatment. I still have my fingers crossed, but things are looking good. She's calling me now. Good to hear her little voice.

15. Whisper

Whisper New Member

Jul 19, 2010
    :angelgoat: Sorry to have to say but despite all our efforts, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for all your help, my little boy passed on about a half hour ago. He is in a much better place now, I guess God just needed him back for something else. I only have a few goats but each and everyone is super special to me, whether I wind up selling one as a pet or a stud or just keeping an old one around as my pet. This year has not been a good one for me, first I lost 'JD' my very first goat, and special buddy, to what I suspect were internal injuries from playing way too hard with my buck (they were a very boisterous pair), then the two beautiful does that were stillborn, to this little boy. I still have two healthy bucklings that make me laugh everyday as baby goats always do to we 'goat people' and I will remain an optimistic soul looking forward to tomorrow. Again, thank you for being the helpful, wonderful group of 'goat people' that you are. :tears:

16. thecowgurl

thecowgurl New Member

Mar 10, 2011
    :( so very sorry. it's so sad when they go. :grouphug:

17. Christman2

Christman2 WhitePineBoerGoats

Jul 22, 2013
    Trego, WI
    So sorry to read that you lost this one too, Whisper! I want to thank you for posting and everyone who replied! We went through this about a month ago with 2 out of 3 triplets. Those two did survive and are bottle babies now, but it was rough for us for a few days. They had hypothermia and the one doeling had a weak suck. We were fighting 30 below temps in Northern Wisconsin. Had them in a small building with a barrel stove going, but ten feet from the heat, their water would freeze. We are a little sad to say these two will end up going as pets to some lucky person. Sad, because the doe is a black headed Boer and she is our first. I really wanted her to be a breading doe. She was only 6.5 pounds at birth, vs. 7.5 and 8 lbs that her siblings were. The doe that got to remain with mama is way larger. We'll see, doing all we can. The cool thing is, they are back in with mama, but go over to their bottles and drink. Mama loves them and lets them climb all over her, but they have no interest in drinking her milk. I was hoping they would, but at least they're alive. They were so cold and almost dead when we brought them in the house. :hug:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  18. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

So sorry you lost him.

19. anawhitfield

anawhitfield Active Member

Jun 8, 2013
    Buford, Georgia
    oh, it just breaks my heart !!! I lost a one-day-old lamb just like that a few days ago.
    I hate to see them hurt.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  20. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California