3 day old buckling. Scours?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Cponce, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Cponce

Cponce New Member

Dec 10, 2017
    Hi,
    One of my does gave birth to twins 3 days ago. They are both nursing well. And Mom is healthy. My question, the buckling has had whitish yellow poop since day one. The poop is more runny as well. The consistency is not exactly watery but more like pudding. His sister has more the normal bright yellow poop the consistency of putty. She also seems to be a bit more interested in practicing her hops and running.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Am I just being an over protective Mom?

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Get a temp on him.

Moers kiko boars and Cponce like this.

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    A temp would be good idea. Sounds like brother is getting more than his fair share of mommas milk. Typical for bucks. I would give him a pinch of baking soda once a day for a few days and see if that helps. Just know he may act like you poisoned him lol.

4. Cponce

Cponce New Member

Dec 10, 2017
    I haven’t got a temp on him, I can try later. I also need to get a weight on both of them...We are in south Florida so... it is very hot outside. In the afternoons.

As I said they are both nursing, but it’s not like he seems to nurse more. (That I know of). He doesn’t appear to be gaining weight faster. He is definitely not as adventurous as his sister.

How would you suggest I give baking soda? Just place a pinch on the tongue?

5. Cponce

Cponce New Member

Dec 10, 2017
    Picture of the boy and another with his sister.

Attached Files:

6. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You definitely need to get weight and temp on him.

7. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Awe cutie pies! Yes a tiny pinch of baking soda on his tongue wont hurt and may help even out the loose poops. When poop is whitish and loose we usually treat for milk scours. He may struggle to digest moms rich milk right now. He should adjust before too long but a little baking soda can help.
    Yes get their temps as soon as you can and weights so you can keep track of gains : )

8. Cponce

Cponce New Member

Dec 10, 2017
    Thanks for the suggestions. Like many, I’m working from home during this time. I’ll get on it as soon as I wrap up work. (soon).

Moers kiko boars and happybleats like this.
  9. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Also - is he nursing one side and the doe the other? Check mama to make sure she doesn't have hot or swollen side developing mastitis - and take her temp. Track his weight gain, if scours don't get better and there is no problem with her milk, I would start on spectoguard or Scour halt for 3 days. E coli can affect kids this young.

10. Cponce

Cponce New Member

Dec 10, 2017
    Thank you . I’ll check that out too.

11. Cponce

Cponce New Member

Dec 10, 2017
    Update. Temp 102.9. Weight 3lbs 5oz. (Sister weighs 4lbs). Also just observed his drink from BOTH sides. Gave him a pinch of baking soda, and we’ll see how it goes. ‍♀️

Thank you. I’ll post if anything changes.

Moers kiko boars and happybleats like this.
  12. Cponce

Cponce New Member

Dec 10, 2017
    Hi,
    My buckling took another pinch of baking soda this morning. I also started giving some electrolytes, which he seems to love. He seems a bit more animated, and very affectionate.
    However his poop is still whitish colored (although a bit firmer) I am now noticing what is maybe some blood in the poop...

Thoughts please...

Attached Files:

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  14. Cponce

Cponce New Member

Dec 10, 2017
    Thank you. We are sending out a fecal sample.

15. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    In most cases, infective larvae that get picked up in the environment take about 3 weeks before they’ll lay eggs that you’d see on a microscope. Therefore, his fecal will probably be clean. I’d be more worried about a bacterial infection than worms in a kid that young.

16. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I would consider ecoli this point. Scour halt for pigs will clear it up. Don't give too much electrolytes as he needs milk.

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree, try pig scour halt, double dosage it states on label, give 2 x a day orally for 3 days.

18. Cponce

Cponce New Member

Dec 10, 2017
    Thanks everyone. We are taking your advice and heading out to TSC for some Scour Halt. Would SpectoGard Scourchek be the same?

Unfortunately the nearest TSC is an hour away, so once again, had to wait til clocking out time.

No big change so far today. He is the same. (No better/no worse) But definitely not progressing as quickly as his sister.

19. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Yes spectoguard is the same.

20. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California