The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a lot on here but nothing fully fits my situation.

We found my baby wet and shivering. Did all things necessary to get him warm and alive. However; he cant stand. He has a lot on movement with his legs. Seems to be able to put weight on his legs but cant stay standing.

He has a funny eye, head bobbing, tounge flicking out the side of the mouth. I have to get him to maneuver his tounge to feed him. Doesn't suckle quite right so I have to squeeze the bottle to get him enough milk in his belly.

I am amazed at how much you can love a little guy so quic . But I don't want to be doing him more harm than good. Will he ever be able to stand, walk, play.

Any help and thoughts are greatly appreciated

·
I'm watching you
22,567 Posts
Difficulty with sucking and tongue control is selenium deficiency. Difficulty standing is also. Often the tongue will hang out the side of the mouth while trying to suck.
I would give selenium/E gel 3 days in a row and then a vitamin E gelcap for 2 or 3 more days.
2 cc of the gel, put it on your finger and scrape it onto the roof of his mouth.
Just squeeze the oil from vitamin E gelcaps into his mouth.
He should perk up quickly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. We have give the e with selenium the last 2 days and he is more active. But still not able to get up. Guess I should give it some time to work. Thanks again.

·
Administrator
84,722 Posts
OK, not floppy kid.

A vet is wise.
What source of selenium did you give and how much?
If you gave the gel, it works much slower.

You may need something stronger to get into the system quicker, such as a Bo-se shot.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Vet gave him some shots last saturday. We are giving him e with selenium and calcium each morning.

I will ask about the beso shot that is not something I remember the vet saying. Should I get some straight selenium instead of the e with selenium?

I so want him to be ok. But more, I dont want him to suffer

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Selenium is taken up easier together with E-vitamin.
I am amazed at how much you can love a little guy so quic .
We are not astonished! This is a goat all right!
But I don't want to be doing him more harm than good.
So speaks real love! Thank you for that!

And welcome to our group of goat lovers! You will find us very willing to share what we know, and to watch your pictures of your loved ones! :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you all for you help. Forrest started rectal bleeding again and looked to be internal. We put him down yesterday i am still crying. So hard even knowing he is now running, jumping, and playing which he was unable to do here.

Thank you all again. Hopefully the other 17 kids will help heal my heart a little.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts