The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a little 3 day old kid who was healthy and strong for the first few days. He was a surprise and had already imprinted with his mom and nursed when I found him. I wasn't ready to start milking, so I left him on his mum. She was taking very good care of him and he seemed to be nursing well. But last night when I went to check on him, he seemed a bit off, more wobbly, and his ears, which are erect, had drooped down like a Nubian kid's. I listened to his breathing and he seems a little congested. My husband had put down fresh bedding and I wonder if he breathed some in. Suspecting pneumonia, I decided to bring him in and get him warmed up.

He's in an indoor pen with a heating pad and another kid now. He's had one shot of penicillin and some B vitamins. I gave him a warm bottle last night and this AM, but he's resistant to feeding for any length of time. He just takes sips and goes off, then I have to pry his mouth open to get the nipple in again. I figure he was used to his mom... But he doesn't show signs of being hungry like the other born just yesterday. When I came down this AM, he was stretched out on the heating pad and took his time getting up. He is hopping around and trying to play with the other one now, but his ears are still down.

Should I continue to be worried? I will give him the Pen shots 2 times today and keep trying to feed every few hours. But those ears really worry me.

·
2,203 Posts
I agree. Take the temp, start vit b complex. If pneumonia I wouldn't hesitate to use Draxxin. If he's still congested, rub a little Vet Rx on the bridge of his nose. Any mucous eyes, nose? Are you in selenium deficient area? I always give Bo-Se to babies fresh off to help too just because we are in deficient area.

Animals make such personable friends, they pass no criticisms, offer their ears through happiness and sorrows, and yet possess such undying devotion, even whilst they know all our secrets.

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: He's eating MUCH better now. Still ears are down and he is lounging on the heating pad, all stretched out, breathing like a goat in the sun (harder). He's playing a lot more. Peeing and pooping plenty. How often should I give him the dose of B Complex, do you think?

·
2,203 Posts
With kids acting "off" I do 2x a day. Adults i do 3x.

Animals make such personable friends, they pass no criticisms, offer their ears through happiness and sorrows, and yet possess such undying devotion, even whilst they know all our secrets.

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got a temp on this guy and he's 104.5, so definitely a fever. I gave him baby aspirin and some Robitussin DM. He's back to being indifferent about food, but did eat 2 oz. and peed after. My husband, who had his stethoscope for his EMT service, listened and didn't hear a rattle. He's itching at his ears. So strange! Any other ideas?

·
2,203 Posts
Possible double ear infection from not ridding the fluid after birth. Got any Baytril around?

·
2,203 Posts
Yup call the vet. I like Baytril for sore ears in kids/cattle. Seems to help them pull through. Your vet may have another recommendation though. Depends on the area you're in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts