3 day old ewe lamb constipated

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by tiana, Apr 30, 2010.

1. tiana

tiana New Member

Apr 30, 2010
    My shetland ewe rejected her lamb that was born on Monday..i have been feeding Save a Lamb and she is eating great...acting normal, peeing but she pooped once the night she was born and the next day once..nothing yesterday. So today at 2 pm i gave a small enema of warm water only 1 cc and two dime sized globs of pretty well formed poop came out...i am very worried about her..she is only 3.5 lbs..any advice would be appreciated. She is in the house her with us. She seems very health otherwise.
    Thanks so much Val

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    hmm, I'd give her a little while, then try the enema again.

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    my nigi I gave 2 cc enema - she pooped a ton of rocks (they were that hard) gave another 2 cc and there was so much more. If it was me - I would be giving her another 2cc enema

4. tiana

tiana New Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Thanks guys.i will give her another enema. what about mineral oil?

5. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Mineral oil will work fine and add a bit of lubrication for the dry poops. You can also use water to which a drop or 2 of non antibacterial soap has been added. The soap acts as an irritant and a lubricant to expel the poop,.

6. tiana

tiana New Member

Apr 30, 2010
    She is only pooping when i do the enemas..so how often should i do them and what can i give orally to help her be regular?

7. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    At this age she should be getting her mothers colostrum. Colostrum has a laxative effect to help move the poop along. After about a week the mothers colostrum changes to milk. You can add 1/2 tsp Karo syrup to the bottle and it should help. I would only add it to 1 bottle a day for a few days. This should help to move things along. Any more Karo will cause scours and you do not want that to happen.

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I agree with all the replies...add a bit of Karo to 1 bottle a day and also she may need to be stimulated to poop by taking a warm wet cloth over her butt...the moms will do this as they eat as well as for a few days after birth to stimulate a bowel movement.