The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't find a thread on how long I should wait to see if the kid poops before doing the warm soapy water enema.

Mini Alpine Kid: Born 6/2. Drank some from her mom, but the mom ended up having a torn uterus and we lost her. We did milk her out before she died. The milk may have some banamine in it if that passed through quickly. We have enough milk from the doe that she is still eating that. Temp is normal. BOse, vitamins, A, D and B given by shot after birth. She was a single.

We have been having trouble getting her to take the bottle, but she is getting about 10 oz a day even if we have to drench her to get enough in.

She hasn't pooped for about 32 hours. She isn't very active either. How long do I wait to intervene with an enema? any other suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
32,281 Posts
Time for an enema now...

·
Super Moderator
32,281 Posts
also would get a pinch of cayenne pepper in honey and rub on her gums. helps perk them up and add energy.

·
Super Moderator
32,281 Posts
How much does she weigh? Too much or too little can cause constipation.
To help get her on the bottle make sure its very warm. Goats body temp is much higher than ours..so milk needs to be too. (About 101 or so)
Place baby in your lap..legs tucked. Hold her chin with one hand in a slight upward tilt. Slip bottle in with the other and pulse the bottle to get flowing....sometimes this is all she needs. If not..try honey. Put her in your lap as before and put a little honey on your finger..stick it in babies mouth far back on the tongue to stimulate sucking reflex. Do this a few times until baby is eager for more...then have a very warm bottle ready with honey on nipple..slip it in. Baby will taste honey first then warm milk. This has worked many times. Good luck

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,102 Posts
She hasn't pooped for about 32 hours. She isn't very active either. How long do I wait to intervene with an enema? any other suggestions?
Try using a wet warm cloth and gently dab it around her back end before and/or after feeding the bottle. Many species of animals will lick at the private areas of the newborn to stimulate urination, bowel movements and to clean them up afterwards. Have done this with a variety of orphaned newborn, just haven't raised a bottle kid before.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tried the suggestions for getting her to take a bottle. She will take the nipple in her mouth and chew on it and swallow some. She seems to want to drink from the bottle but isn't sucking correctly. A couple times for just a little bit she wrapped her tongue around it correctly and sucked and she will such on a finger correctly. We are using the Pirchard nipples and tried lamb nipples but had the same problem.

·
Super Moderator
32,281 Posts
Just hold it in pulsing it ....she will get it.

Reactions: Moers kiko boars

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
She's doing great! The enema got her poo going. She started to associate my daughter with being fed. She started bumping my daughter's legs to look for a place to nurse, but still wasn't taking the bottle well. My daughter put the bottle between her knees and let her find it and when she did she nursed like a champ.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts