3 day old twin with the runs

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by kritterkeeper, Jan 23, 2010.

1. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    Hello-

how much Kaopectate can you give to a 3 day old 25% Nubian, 75%ND they are small like a pygmy baby...

they are being bottle feed save a kid (which I hate but have no other choice right now)- and they have the mustard color runs.. I am sure it is because they are got to much to eat..

the family they were born to did not know they were coming till about 3 weeks before they were born (did not know she was PG when they got her) and they do not have a warm enough place to keep them ( all my has a dog house) and both work and go to school full time so we are fostering them till spring...

I do have another choice for milk I could feed them cow milk straight from the cow well from the milk tank... I have feed this before but they were older when I started it...

Thank you

2. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    We usually use Pepto Bismol, so Im not sure about Kao- If you can get some gatorade or pedialyte into it will help- She can become dehydrated very fast with the scours. We pull them off of milk and put them straight on gatorade with pedialyte mixed in-if that doesnt help within a day or so-resort to pepto then. I ma getting some bottle babies that are 1 week old today and the dairy that has them feeds them 2X a day-she said that is enough- Personally I feed mine 3 X a day at 12 oZ per feeding- We are using Ultra milk replacer-It is based off of skim milk. Whole cow milk is better than replacer-you will just have to switch the baby over gradually.

3. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    Thank you so you think putting them on cows milk now would be fine as long as i do it slowly?

These are very small ND mix so from what I have read and how I do it is the first week they get feed every 3 to 4 hr about 3 to 4 oz at a time them cute down a bottle and add a oz of milk to the others..

-

when we got a very first goat that is what the lady told me too but I could not do that so we started with 4 and worked our way down...

thank you

4. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    A good guideline is on Goat-link.com or jackmauldin.com you can do a search on his site for bottle feeding.You may have to cut the amount down-his is for boers- Goat-link is a great site for almost anything!!

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Ok first the mustard color is normal so is it being more like doggy stools but if watery then you have a problem.

Feed 2-5 oz ever 3 hours or less depending when hungry. Feed less more often to mimic how they would feed off mom

6. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle

7. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    Thank you! I now remember after you said it that the poo is normal when it is that color.. it is a little runny so I want to make sure I take care of it before it turns bad...

can any one tell me what you do for congestion and a little cough probably from trying to in hale the bottle..

very happy they are both still very active and not acting like they don't feel good at all..

Donna

8. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Maybe try going a little slower with bottle. The more angle you have on the bottle the more problem with getting a little aspiration; angle the bottle almost horozontal & see if that helps?

9. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    Thank you so much! our oldest 2 goats will be 4 this year, and we have raised 11 from babies and it seem each year, you run into something new or it has been a few years since this happened and you forget and panic on how to handle it.. I hate to see any of them sick...

Thank you again

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    actually I would angle the bottle higher -- as this allows for the milk to get into the right compartment of the rumen

The hole in the nipple might be a bit large -- try a smaller hole to see if this helps.

11. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    Okay they still have some runny poo- and they will be a week old tomorrow- BUT it has not affected them they are still bouncing all over the place.. I am going to start to switch them from Save a Kid to Raw cows milk today... I have had better luck with that...

would it be all right to give them some pepto if so how much-