The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I just joined the goat spot because something has been in my head. I’ve owned a goat since she was a few days old but stayed with her mother. She came to my house for a month but I had to leave so she went back to the farm with her mother. We waited for a long time for her to give birth. She gave birth on Jan 8 2019 to triplets 1 died at birth and the other 2 died a few days later. She was born on Apr 20 2017. This make no sense to me. I never saw the kids only when she was pregnant. Is it possible she gave birth to triplets her first time? Or the person at the farm lied and this was her second litter?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve read on many websites that it’s usually only 1. Also I’m told that she is pregnant now is that possible or good for her health?

·
Super Moderator
58,933 Posts
Only 1 the first time isn't true. It can happen but almost all my first timers over the years had twins or more. Personally I'd be questioning the care of the goats if all 3 kids died. Already pregnant again is too soon. Again, questioning the care/husbandry at the farm she is living.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I have been questioning the care as well and I’m planning to move her in the coming days to a better place. Would the deaths have anything to do with how cold it was?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Thanks. I have been questioning the care as well and I'm planning to move her in the coming days to a better place. Would the deaths have anything to do with how cold it was?
It's hard to say if we don't know the entire situation. Other possibilities include mineral deficiencies of both mom and babies, her needing assistance at birth and nobody being there until it was too late, the surviving 2 not getting colostrum or nursing successfully from mom, infection...it's really hard to say without delving deep into her prenatal care and delivery/ postpartum care for anyone to pinpoint what went wrong.
It could very well have been the babies got chilled and they died that way. But again it's hard to say for sure without details.

I will say this however, if you are questioning her living conditions, or her care then that sends up red flags to me that you are thinking something you are seeing isn't right. If that's the case then it is very wise to move her to a better farm.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Her age was fine for her first breeding, but unlike what others have said yes goats can breed and deliver up to 3 times in 2 years. Every 7-9 months from breeding to breeding this would include pregnancy and nursing to near or past weaning. Of course some won't recommend it but especially with her losing all of her kids she probably came back into heat sooner then other nursing mama's.

·
Super Moderator
58,933 Posts
Her age was fine for her first breeding, but unlike what others have said yes goats can breed and deliver up to 3 times in 2 years. Every 7-9 months from breeding to breeding this would include pregnancy and nursing to near or past weaning. Of course some won't recommend it but especially with her losing all of her kids she probably came back into heat sooner then other nursing mama's.
Yes they can, but it wears them out faster. Also can see more problems because of the frequency.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok. Thanks everyone. We are planning to move her to a better farm where they take care of animals better and I have trusted family there. Also there is no bucks which would probably be better and prevent her getting pregnant too soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts