The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3 month old Nigerian Dwarf, I've only had her for a month, that is very weak and under weight (only 8 lbs!). When I first got her she was just weaned and seemed normal, she has never been a very active kid. Over time she had slowly got worse, won't move or walk. She eats and drinks fine if I make her stand up and do it, she'll stand for awhile and slowly fall to her front knees and then just give up and fall down. This week has been the worse so far and it's not looking good. Monday & Tuesday we were outside with her making her walk around and eat and I gave her some Nutri-Drench and baking soda with water, since she doesn't get up and move all day. Wednesday her temp was 101.9 and her poo in completely normal, along with her drinking & eating, so I didn't give her any meds just vitamins & minerals. She was wormed 2 weeks ago and eats medicated feed, so I don't think its worms. So yesterday her temp was 103.6 and I decided to give her some penicillin, she does have some rattling in her chest. I did give her some more Nutri-Drench yesterday and 1/2 way through she collapsed and went completely limp in my arms. I rubbed her to revive her, her mouth was tight so I opened it and held her slightly downhill. She finally came back around after about 5 minutes and stood over her food bowl and finished it off. That scared me and made me have a bad feeling of the out come for her. She is still in quarantine from the rest of the herd. I was told her had both her CDTs before I got her. She was also disbudded before I got her and there is ZERO sign of healing while my other kids are already healed over. Also, there are NO goat vets in a 2 hour radius so I'm on my own here. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
Oh geesh! Ok, she doesn't have a fever, but, you have already started with the penn so you have to continue for at least 5 days. I had a kid with pneumonia for the first time this year and she was weak, and had a "rattle" in her chest. Did not have much of a fever, so I would continue with the penicillin. If she has a "stuffy nose" you can use vicks on her nose to help her breathe.

This medicated feed? Is it medicated to prevent cocci? I don't have faith in those feeds, although some do. I am on a cocci prevention with Baycox, but, you have to get that by mail, so go with sulmet liquid, for 5 days. 1ml/5lbs day 1, 1ml/10lbs day 2-5. I hope you can get a fecal done, but, if I see weak, sick kids, I just treat. They will usually have diarrhea, but not always.

I am wondering about fks (floppy kid syndrome), someone with more experience with that will come soon and tell us if this is the problem.

Do you have any B-complex, or preferably thiamine? If so, I would give it. jic.

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
Is she grinding her teeth or showing other signs of "gut pain"? Have you changed her feed? Probably got her right off mom...so yes to that. I know you say she's had her cd/t shot, but anytime my vet is out she automatically gives that. You may consider giving her the cd/t antitoxin.

Here is an article on "floppy kid syndrome" http://www.goatworld.com/articles/fks/fksrw.shtml

·
Super Moderator
58,187 Posts
It sounds like something may have been going on with her before you got her. I would keep doing the Penicillin. It needs to be done twice a day for 7 days. Was she underweight when you got her? My week old Nigerian is 8 lbs so a 3 month old should be at least 25 to 30 lbs.

Are those current symptoms or has she had problems the whole time you have owned her? Was she eating grain and drinking water ok when you first got her?

·
Super Moderator
82,188 Posts
How is her gum color? Pale pink, white?

If she is pale to white she will need an iron supplement.

If you can get a fecal done on her for cocci and worms, that will help determine if something is happening there.
Even if we feed medicated feed, doesn't keep away cocci, stress, which she went through at weaning and being ripped from her home, may of caused worms and/or cocci to explode.

I would maybe stop the grain, until you know what is going on with her.

Is there any bloating?

·
Registered
29,932 Posts
I agree...a fecal is in order...eye color helps us see anemia but it also sometimes keeps us from looking further...cocci can weaken a kid and stunt their growth as will tape worm...medicated feed only furthers the problem imo..the cocci builds a resistance against that mediccation in the feed and renders it useless..Have a fecal done ASAP or treat for cocci and see if that does not help..check her poop for tape worm segments....if you see any, treat with Valbazen 1 cc per 10 #...
also check the horn bed...Doesit feel squishy under the burn area? can you pull any scab up to get a look under? dont pull if its not loose...even without a temp Im concerned it has not began to heal...look for any sign if infection...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just went home and checked on her at lunch and she was worse, laid completely flat. Her poop is normal and zero signs of worms. Her membranes are very pale. All my goats under 6 months are on a medicated feed for coccidia (Purina Noble Goat), mixed with oats, BOSS, and alfalfa pellets.
I've had her for a month now and she was flown to me from a very reputable breeder. I also purchased another kid at the same time and they traveled together and where in quarantine together. The other kid is prefectly normal, normal energy and appetite, and growth.
I've gave her all the vitamin & mineral supplements I have and she continues to worsen. I gave her a very strong wormer dose 2 weeks ago and she continues to worsen. She has always had a very round belly since I got her. She is also developing a bad under-bite. The breeder I got her from has her litter-mate sister and said she is developing normally and has a normal energy.
I'm to the point I wonder if there's internally something genetically wrong or something she was born with and has worsen as she gets older. Maybe something like a tumor or twisted intestine, or something didn't develop properly? Maybe one of those rare cases...?
I have 13 other goats, of varying ages and all from great breeders and have never seen anything like this.
You would just have to see her to believe it. She appears normal but pale membranes and refuses to stand or move. It's like she decided to give up living.

·
Super Moderator
82,188 Posts
I recommend a knowledgeable goat vet, she doesn't sound good. She needs iron right away for one.
But needs, the ailment that is causing the anemia, treated as soon as possible as well. To know what it is, a fecal needs to be done right away.

Does she have lice?

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
What did you worm her with? Pale membranes mean she is anemic so she most likely has some kind of blood sucking worm, coccidia or possibly lice. You say zero signs of worms, did you run a fecal on her? The only worms that can be seen without a microscope are tape worms. Even with the medicated feed, until they are eating enough of it for it to be in their system they have to be treated for coccida. You also have to remember that the drug in the medicated feed only prevents coccidia, so if they already have it the feed won't treat it. I know you said a vet is 2 hrs away, but it sounds like she may need to be seen, especially if she is getting worse. If there is something wrong internally, the vet should be able to tell and then you can go from there.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
She has no external parasites. The unfortunate thing is there are no goats vets with in hours of us and all the vets that are in this area are closed, unavailable, or on vacation. All vets around here are closed all weekend as well. This place seriously sucks around here.
I will do my own fecal at home if she is still alive when I get home.
What will help get her iron up? The feed stores around here have nothing for goats so I will have to order it online, like always.
I do have a fortified Vit B complex I was thinking about giving her but was unsure the dose since she is so small. I think it is 1cc per 30 lbs?
Also, when I gave her the penicillin shot she didn't even flench or scream, just laid there like 'go ahead and stab me', and that was with a 20g needle.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've never had a coccidia problem in any of my goats, so I'm probably unprepared. All I have is Dimethox 12.5%. What is the best way to treat coccidia?

·
I'm watching you
22,150 Posts
I'd give her a full cc of vit. B twice a day. Anything her body can't use will be peed out. It can't be ODed. Red cell is in the horse section at the feed store, it can be used for her.

·
Registered
29,932 Posts
I would throw the book at her at this point...
Dimethox is good...1 cc per 5# day one and 1 cc per 10# day 2-5...
B complex 4 1/2 cc per 100 pounds
red cell for iron .. go 2 cc
Valbazen for worm load 1 c per 10 #
Get her proped up so she is not laying on her side...use pillows rolled towel or blaket
drench her electrolytes to keep her hydrated
CD Antitoxin and Thiamine (b 1) or fortified B complex instead of B complex and thiamine..
electro recipe
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it. Most of mine love this stuff unlike the electrolytes you buy..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I want to mention that she has been like this since I got her a month ago. She refused to move and when you make her stand up she just collapses. I also got a health certificate with her, so a vet did look at her before I got her.

·
Registered
29,932 Posts
Im so sorry ...I know this is stressful..Keep working on her as long as she doesnt give up...a month is a long time to be this weak...she has survivied this long..keep going!! we are here to support and help you all we can..

·
I'm watching you
22,150 Posts
I wonder if she burst an eardrum on the plane? It would make her feel sick to stand up.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks so much and I'm about to leave and pickup some things and go to work on her. Hope she's ready for what's coming! Thanks again, everyone!

·
Registered
29,932 Posts
I re read the whole post...she has a lot going on ...Im thinking out loud here ....Im thinking she has something genetic..she seems to be increasinly getting worse, unthrifty..to recap..and please let me know if I missed something or miss understood...

*you said she has an underbite? have you check for cleft palet? You didnt notice when you first got her or its just developing??
*You said you dosed her with a strong wormer: what was it and how much and how administered?
*you gave pen G..how many days and how much?
was she weak like this when you got her from the airport or did she slowly begin to fail?
she's very much under weight...eating, drinking, just fine just too weak to get up..no temp..eyes are pale...poop is normal so rumenis functioning..WOw..a real puzzle this one...ok so.. we know
Anemia will cause weakness..red cell and Vit B 12 will help restore that but if somehting is goingon stealing that supply she will contitue to get worse..she will need supplements until she can hold her own..B 12 can be given daily with no issues..Red cell i would give daily until I see color in her eyes..then weekly until she is strong

1 - 20 of 22 Posts