3 Mo. Kid - Diarrhea - Not Responding To Treatment

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by firelight27, May 4, 2010.

1. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    So, I have a 3 month old doeling (Val) who has some serious diarrhea. It is light green, no black tar or blood in it. Its crazy poo. Nasty. She is eating vigorously and is alert and playful. She isn't bloated and doesn't seem sick in any sort of way. I noticed my new doeling (called Narf, nearly the same age) was also showing a bit of a filthy bottom I thought may have come from a little runny poo, so I started treating them both for Cocci immediately. I use Sulmet. It seemed to me like Narf's poo went back to normal almost immediately. I saw her pass normal pellets about 20 minutes later. Of course maybe she never had diarrhea in the first place and her butt was just a little filthy. Lol.

Val, on the other hand, hasn't responded. I'm just finishing Cocci treatment today. I also thought it might be her diet, as she is still drinking from mom, and is out on a luscious spring pasture. They also have access to some alfalfa, as they generally steal anything my horses drop (and they are messy, they drop allot.)

I separated her from everyone just in case whatever she has is contagious. I fed her very little to see if her poo would get better, but its just as nasty as ever. I also gave her Probios yesterday. I'll give her some more today. The only thing left to try is to worm her again (she was wormed early on in life.) I'm going down there right now to give her some ivermectin. Any other suggestions if its not worms?

2. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Best bet right now is to take a fecal in to see what she has. If she has parasites, you can treat accordingly. I have never used Sulmet and not sure if it is better "preventative" (or maybe I am mixing that up with Corid?) We use Albon or generic Albon for any coccidia problems. Typically if the diarrhea smells really bad and is black, it's cocci. Green signals more of a stomach upset.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It sounds like... the kid is getting to much Rich hay ..or with the new spring growth ...which right now.. is hot feed.. is to rich for her system....cut the kid back and give pepto....2x a day...I'd give 12cc each time ...until back to normal...don't feed any grain at this time.... also feeding maybe a little oat hay ....not alot...or something less hot ....will help tighten the kid up.... also give probiotic paste...baking soda .....it will help the gut.. :wink:

4. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Another thing that helps with scours if it is diet related and not because of a disease or parasite, is Slippery elm bark powder. It is really harmless and it works. When I need it I take a 1/4 teaspoon of the powder and just dump it in their mouth. I have one line of goats that seems more sensitive to food than the rest, and it just works. Good for people too.

Jan

5. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Yep the alfalfa is probably whats causing it. Personally I would let her back with her buddies & keep up with the pepto.

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

I totally agree with Jan. The Slippery Lem and Oregano is what I would use. It helps coat the rumen and purifies the blood.

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I was also going to say that you can add it to water and drench it. Sometimes that works better.

8. Agreed! You have good info here.

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Thanks JD.... :wink: :greengrin: :hug:

10. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    havent used the herbal stuff, but pepto works good like pam stated.

11. firelight27

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Thanks everyone. I thought that perhaps keeping her on probios and keeping her off the grass while cutting back on the hay would help, but her poo is just as nasty as ever. She is still super lively and normal, and its still green, so at least I don't believe its something serious. I finally stopped and got some pepto today, I'll give it as you suggested Pam. Fiasco suggests giving it as it is prescribed for humans...but I think I'll try the 12cc's two times a day instead and see how that works out.

12. firelight27

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Gah. The reason I hadn't gotten it earlier is because its Mother's Day week and I'm a florist...and I haven't gotten a physical or mental break to barely sleep or eat. The animals are lucky they are getting fed. Lol. I have 52 orders for tomorrow and Sunday and I am the only one making them! GAH! At least I have a delivery driver, and the payout in the end will be fabulous when 1800Flowers gives me my check. Lol. Then I'll get some treats for my goats to make up for the lack of attention this week.

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    How many cc's would that be in a human dose? If it is more than give that.... :wink:

Did you put her on a less hot feed... such as lite oat hay or grassy hay...just give her a little tiny bit of that... :hug: I hope the pepto works for you.. it is terrible she has had it for this long.... :hug:

14. firelight27

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    I gave her the pepto Friday. The human dose says 30mL. However, there is a cap that is exactly 30mL and it seemed about the same as 15ccs or so...but the math doesn't add up... Anyways, I gave her 15ccs. In the morning she didn't seem to have had any diarrhea, but I gave her 15 more. I saw her poo about 5 minutes after that and it was SOLID! Yay! Hopefully it stays away now! I'm glad I tried the other stuff first so that I know she doesn't have cocci or a huge worm load or something. She was plenty happy and more lively yesterday too, playing with my other younglings. I think she feels better.

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :leap: :cool: :thumb: That is super....don't give her anymore pepto now and see how she does....Pellets are Goooooood..... I am happy it wasn't something more.... :wink: :thumb:

16. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Firelight that is GREAT news! What a relief! Inevidable pun.

17. firelight27

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Ha ha. I took her out today and let her hang out with me inside the barn while I made more flower arrangements so I could watch her poop. When she finally did it was still solid. Silly girl. You know you are goat crazy when you spend an hour waiting for a goat to poop so you can watch it. Other people just think you are straight-out insane when they ask you what you are doing and you calmly reply, "Waiting for the goat to poop. I need to watch it poop."

18. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    :ROFL: :slapfloor: Ben is 5 weeks old and if he eats anything new, I can count on some loose. :sigh: My vet told me I have a sensitive little boy. I hope he grows out of it soon.

Gina

19. firelight27

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    So the diarrhea is back. My other kid has it too. She had loose stools, but now it is full blown diarrhea. I seperated them from the herd this morning. Yesterday I put a giant metal water tub under my horse's feeder so all his loose alfalfa drops into the tub where they can't get it. I don't know if it simply hasn't been long enough since they haven't been able to get to the alfalfa or what. Still giving Probios. Poo is normal colored. Not super dark, or black, or bloody, or yellow or green. I'm picking up some Scour Halt today in case its due to E.Coli or the other bacteria the medication treats for. They are still super bouncy, playful and really want to get at the alfalfa when they see it (although they now can't.) In other words, their attitude and their appetite is just fine. They have both been vaccinated properly so I'm not worried about C & D, and they have been properly wormed and don't appear to have a large worm load, so I'm thinking its not that either.

Someone told me I didn't treat long enough for Cocci, that I needed to go 7-10 days with the Sulmet even though the treatment said 5 days on the dosage... Wouldn't it be bloody, and wouldn't they act sick by now if it was Cocci though? I tried separating them before and that didn't kill the diarrhea, but I was feeding them alfalfa (just very small amounts.) I'm going to keep them off feed all day and see if it tightens up, without giving them the Pepto (the only thing that has seemed to help) so I can see if that helps. If it does I know its the feed..I guess I'll just have to let them graze for a couple of hours at a time and keep them penned up the rest so they can't eat too much lush grass. Which really stinks..I hate having to keep them penned up away from everyone else in the field.

If the Scour Halt and the feed experiments don't work I'll have to see if the local vet will test poo. However, there is only one vet nearby that does any sort of livestock, and they look at me funny when I ask goat questions. Its hard to find a goat vet that knows a goats head from its rear...

20. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Just tell them the head is the end with the pointy things sticking out of it. :ROFL:

PS My vet gave me Corid. It hasn't worked yet, but it's only been 3 days. I'll let you know if it works.

Gina