The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning, our Penny wan walking and moving around normal. Even when we first went out this afternoon to give them more hay, she seemed fine. Now suddenly she is having trouble getting up and walking. Her own momma shoves her away from the hay when we bring it out... I'm worried about her, but not sure what could be wrong. She's had a good appetite, seems to get enough to eat, although she is smaller than the other kids, even her twin sister. She doesn't act sick in any other way. I haven't been able to check her temp as of yet, but no labored breathing or discharge, or anything :-( Please help! Any ideas would be appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
31,626 Posts
Go ahead and check for fever...also check for worm load....cocci can really efect the kids..A fecal will help determine what worms if any are heavy loaded...
Any swelling ? Pooping berries? is she acting off tilter a bit drunk acting? star gazing..head beingpulled back?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Go ahead and check for fever...also check for worm load....cocci can really efect the kids..A fecal will help determine what worms if any are heavy loaded...
Any swelling ? Pooping berries? is she acting off tilter a bit drunk acting? star gazing..head beingpulled back?
Trying to find our thermometer, my mother in law keeps moving everything around the house :-(. I can try to catch her pooping and take it in for a check, but there is no signs of diarrhea in our pen. She is acting drunk like. Not stargazing though, and she doesn't seem to be pulling her head back either.

·
Premium Member
22,987 Posts
I agree with what Cathy has asked... Penny is a good age for a cocci overload but the trouble with her standing is more neurolgical ..... Indicates a likely polio, check her eyes, are they focused to you or are they dancing and twitching? This and the drunken stagger was my first indication of polio in my then 5 month old doeling..also named Penny.

·
Premium Member
22,987 Posts
Trying to find our thermometer, my mother in law keeps moving everything around the house :-(. I can try to catch her pooping and take it in for a check, but there is no signs of diarrhea in our pen. She is acting drunk like. Not stargazing though, and she doesn't seem to be pulling her head back either.
Get Fortified B Complex into her NOW.. a minimum of 6cc IM along with Pen G at 1cc per 10lbs... The drunken behavior IS a symptom of polio... also, if you have activated charcoal gel, get that into her as well, it helps bind toxins in the gut that may have caused the thiamine deficiency
Polio does not present with a fever but Listeria will which is why it's important to treat for both...just in case.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now she is acting completely normal... Walking and standing just fine. Bleating as normal too! She can be quite the talker. She did get butted by her mom pretty hard a little earlier, could this have been the problem? I am not sure our local farm store has b complex for goats, if they don't, what should I get? I felt her belly and it's not hard - just to check that too.

·
Premium Member
22,987 Posts
Fortified B Complex is multi specie... my bottle is brown with a yellow label.

If she got a hard hit to the head, it would make her dizzy but I'd still be watching for any other neurologic symptom such as the drunken stagger, dancing eyes, dragging her toes as she walks etc.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fortified B Complex is multi specie... my bottle is brown with a yellow label.

If she got a hard hit to the head, it would make her dizzy but I'd still be watching for any other neurologic symptom such as the drunken stagger, dancing eyes, dragging her toes as she walks etc.
I will get the vitamin b complex when I go to town shortly. She did poop while I was down at the pen, without a Baggie for collection of course, and it was totally normal. Nice berries. She's been up walking around without issue, eating hay, wags chewing cud when I first got back down to check on her.

·
Premium Member
22,987 Posts
My doe that presented with the drunken stagger was out browsing with the herd when I noticed something was wrong, she never lost appetite, poop didn't change and was totally normal except for the stagger and dancing eyes.
I would still get the Fortified B Complex to have on hand... it can be a lifesaver :)

·
Super Moderator
31,626 Posts
I agree...even if she is acting normal now I would treat a few days with Fortified B complex or Thiamine...Thiamine is RX but fairly cheap...if you do is struggling with polio Thiamine is what she needs..
Def. Take a some poo to be tested..Cocci does not always present with the runs..
I glad she is feeling better : )

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree...even if she is acting normal now I would treat a few days with Fortified B complex or Thiamine...Thiamine is RX but fairly cheap...if you do is struggling with polio Thiamine is what she needs..
Def. Take a some poo to be tested..Cocci does not always present with the runs..
I glad she is feeling better : )
I was able to get some b complex from the farm store. She was already bedded down for the night when I made it home, but has continued to act normal. I will give her a dose tomorrow morning... How often should she be getting it? And our vet is open Saturdays, so I will try to get a sample dropped off tomorrow as well.

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,251 Posts
Here is a link http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/listeriosis.html. I had a kid down from polio years ago...she recovered. I always keep thiamine around and I give it anytime I'm suspicious of a problem. My kid turned away from her hay the day before I found her (I was a complete newbie back then), so anything strange at feeding time makes me crazy...lol.

When you take the fecal sample to the vet, you can ask them about getting some thiamine. It's great insurance, and very inexpensive.

·
Super Moderator
31,626 Posts
I ve dealt with Polio as well..not pretty when let go too long,.I agree with Di..grab some Thiamine from your vet when you go to drop off some poo...I think I paid under $12 for a full bottle...Give her 1 cc per 25# if you get the 100MG Thiamine ( I would start off with 2 cc) or give 1 cc per 100#if you get the 500mg (I would give 1 cc to start with ) this is every 6 hours for a full 24 hours after you see the last symptom...since she is acting fine now...I would give Thiamine for at leat 3 full days to be sure...
WHen we had Polio strike here we found mold in the kids feed...we used auto feeders and would fill them up for the day...with the hot humid/stormy weather it didnt take long to have mold...we of course no longer use auto feeders..but its just one ex. of how Polio can strike...mold in hay, feed, quick change in food, major stress..basically anything to throw off the rumen and prevent the goat from producing thiamine (B1) on her own ...
B comples is great in a pinch..but it will not pull a goat through polio..not enough thiamine in it..but its a good support vitamine...FORTIFEID b complex can be used when Thiamine is not avaiable but at a higher dose....the link Di sent will explain how to figure what you need to give your little doe...Best wishes :)

·
Premium Member
22,987 Posts
Fortified B Complex DOES work in a pinch but you need to inject very high doses in different sites, I had no choice when I treated my 5 month old for polio but to use the B Comp... I had to stick her in 2 different spots with 4cc each every 6 hours for almost 2 days but she did pull through also, I had no anti inflammatory meds to give her...just the B Comp and Pen G. I do think that it was because I caught it very early on with her though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My goat is struggling with sudden onset off tilter behavior, she staggers when she walks like she is going ro fall, will swirl in a circle, bang into deck furniture and sometimes just lay down before she falls. She is about 5 months old. Could rhis be polio? If so, is it transmittable to humans?

·
Super Moderator
31,626 Posts
My goat is struggling with sudden onset off tilter behavior, she staggers when she walks like she is going ro fall, will swirl in a circle, bang into deck furniture and sometimes just lay down before she falls. She is about 5 months old. Could rhis be polio? If so, is it transmittable to humans?
No you cant get it...but she needs treatment now...I would treat for both polio and listerisosis....Fortified B complex and Penicillin is needed along with banamine for inflammation...here is a link to discuss amounts needed!
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/listeriosis.html

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm having a similar issue with a 3 week old Nigerian Doe she has done this since birth, last night she took a turn for the worst and now will lay completely out but she eats, normal appitite, she WANTS to get up, no stargazing or pulling her head back, she keeps her head low before falling over.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts