3 month old baby goat having episodes

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Mary B., Jan 10, 2018.

1. Mary B.

Mary B. Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Denham Springs La.
    Mary B.New Member
    Brought home my male a month ago. I feed the same goat feed as the breeder. He also gets all the hay he wants and salt and baking soda with fresh water daily. About a week after I got him he started having episodes, his stomach gets big and hard then his whole body gets stiff and he cries out in pain. Sometimes he falls over stiff legged and doesn't move. This last only a few seconds, he then goes on his way like nothing happened. Vet said he never saw that before. 2 weeks later he got worst, yesterday he was doing this more and more. Went to another vet and she did a fecal and said he had worms and wormed him and put him on Thiamine shots twice a day for 5 days. She saw him have a episode and said she never saw that before. Everyone I talked to said they never heard of that. The vet also took him off the salt saying maybe to much copper. Today he is still having episodes, but not as many, he lays in my lap and I pat is belly and he burbs and goes to sleep. He is eating fine and his poop and pee are normal. He doesn't have a fever. If anyone can help I would be so thankful. Mary
  2. Ranger1

Ranger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Can you get one on video to share? How often does it occur?

It almost sounds like he could have some myotonic genes in him...

3. goat girls

goat girls Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2017
    New mexcico
    Also cut out the baking soda
  4. Mary B.

Mary B. Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Denham Springs La.
    The breeder said no to the Myotonic genes. Ok to the baking soda. I don't know how to put a video on here, Have to get my son to do it for me. I gave him probiotics today about 3 hours ago and he has not had an episode yet, he is up for the night. I'll watch him tomorrow and film him. At first he had them about 4 a day now (3 weeks later) about every hour he has had one, and he is inside and not getting upset like a Fainting goat.
  5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

What do you mean by salt? Definitely stop the baking soda. What exactly are you feeding?
  6. Mary B.

Mary B. Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Denham Springs La.
    Feeding Goat feed 16% pellet Medicated, had goat salt and baking soda in bowl all day so he can eat as needed also hay, but was told to stop the salt and the baking soda. The breeder told me the salt I was feeding (Purina goat mineral) killed 11 goats at her place and to never use that again, vet said same thing. I have stopped the salt and baking soda, giving Thiamin shot twice daily and started probiotics today. He had 2 light episodes today (compared to 20 a day)and has been looking so much better. He has more energy and has been getting into trouble all day, LOL He is in the pic for my account (left) sleeping. Thanks to everyone for your input.
  7. NyGoatMom

NyGoatMom Shady Acre Homestead Supporting Member

So are you saying the mineral salts you were giving caused this?
  8. Mary B.

Mary B. Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Denham Springs La.
    I guess, the vet said he had to much sodium and copper. She also said Probiotic's wouldn't hurt.
  9. NyGoatMom

NyGoatMom Shady Acre Homestead Supporting Member

Wow, never heard of that. Do they think there was a mishap in the mixing?
    Is he doing better?
  10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Baking soda isn't good free choice and packed with salt.

Goats need minerals but usually will only go lick them, as needed. Not engorge on it, after their bodies tell them they are satisfied.

It is like you and me, we put more salt on a steak for instance, as our bodies need it. Then put less when we don't.

I stopped Purina goat minerals as it had a lot of salt in it, and went to sweetlix and American stockman SE90.

Never heard of goat dying from Purina goat minerals. It had to be from something else.

Did the vet somehow test levels to say they are toxic to your goat? Or assumed?