The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have a buck around 3 months old. I went to give him his bottle this morning and it all was coming out of his nose. If he had beem a newborn I would have suspected cleft but he's 3 months!! I tried the same bottle on 2 other goats to rule out that being a problem. They were fine. I tried different angles. Still came out nose. He seems a teeny bit lethargic but was very excited about bottle. All other goats are fine. Disease free. No scours. Plenty of water, hay and grain. I can't think of anything else!! Does anyone know what is going on????!!!

·
Premium Member
4,629 Posts
Hello! I have a buck around 3 months old. I went to give him his bottle this morning and it all was coming out of his nose. If he had beem a newborn I would have suspected cleft but he's 3 months!! I tried the same bottle on 2 other goats to rule out that being a problem. They were fine. I tried different angles. Still came out nose. He seems a teeny bit lethargic but was very excited about bottle. All other goats are fine. Disease free. No scours. Plenty of water, hay and grain. I can't think of anything else!! Does anyone know what is going on????!!!
Temp? Breathing noises?

·
Registered
29,935 Posts
Yes..get his temp asap

Reactions: carrotsnranch

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Temp was normal at 102
I met with my vet and she gave him some meds and couldn't find anything wrong
Only thing she could think of is upper respiratory, reflux or begninning of bloat. We have no idea!
He's in a stallwith no grain or milk for 3 days just hay, etc. I'll lethim out to forage too during the day

·
Registered
29,935 Posts
Pneumonia can come on with no temp at first and can spike later. Keep an eye on that and keep up with Penicillin for 5 full days. A friend is having this blow through her herd..no high temps at first ..just heavy breathing and Lethargy. Temps jump later on some while other show no high fever. Goats don't always follow the rule book so we have to interpret what we are seeing and do our best

·
Registered
29,935 Posts
on a side note, should not vaccinaye a sick goat. Cd&t won't be effective for protection for ten days and needs a booster to be most effective.

Best wishes

Reactions: carrotsnranch

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pneumonia can come on with no temp at first and can spike later. Keep an eye on that and keep up with Penicillin for 5 full days. A friend is having this blow through her herd..no high temps at first ..just heavy breathing and Lethargy. Temps jump later on some while other show no high fever. Goats don't always follow the rule book so we have to interpret what we are seeing and do our best
Yes very true. But other than the milk he's been fine now. No heavy breathing. Keeping close eye on him but appears to be getting better (lots of hope too lol!)

·
Registered
29,935 Posts
Hows baby doing

1 - 18 of 18 Posts