The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Done lost her mind...
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How successful can I expect this to be? I got a new buckling yesterday. He's 3 months old. I got him because I have a doe I need bred this month so she'll be in milk for spring shows. I actually thought he was a little older. He humps everything in sight and even sprayed himself with urine when I put him with the bucks. The doe just happened to be in standing heat today so I put them together. He went back and forth from trying to nurse to mounting her. He couldn't reach so I turned over a feed pan and he was able to make entry. She didn't scrunch up the first time so I put them together again later in the day and he did it again and she scrunched up that time. So, even though he was willing and able (with a little help) can I expect him to be fertile enough to actually have gotten her pregnant? I would have liked to have waited to evaluate him a little better, but I needed her bred and he comes from good lines and was recommended to me by a more experienced breeder (she said his mom has a good udder). Any thoughts?

·
Done lost her mind...
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right? I couldn't believe he was only 11 weeks old. I've had bucklings that were humping their siblings from day one, but this little guy was marking himself with urine, blubbering, pawing, the whole nine yards like an adult buck. When I flipped over the feed pan and held her in front of it he didn't even hesitate. He just hopped right up and took care of business lol. The breeder said he's been trying to prove himself for the past 2 weeks. Now I just have my fingers crossed that his swimmers are swimming! The doe is the mother of my adult buck which is why I needed another buck to breed to her. I think she's really nice, but she wasn't shown and I'd like to see how she does. The kids will be OMF on the dams side and Little Tots on the Sires side.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
He should have gotten the job done, but only time will tell. Even with mature bucks most of my does don't scrunch up or anything, but they settle on the first breeding, so I wouldn't rely on that for telling if he can get them bred.
I'm not sure how I would classify his color, I dont have Nigerians.

·
Done lost her mind...
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, I know. I was using it to judge if the act had been completed. It happened pretty quick, so I wasn't sure. The 4 other does I bred this year all scrunched up afterward. Good to know that the breeding can still be complete even without it. I thought it was the sign that a "deposit" had been made lol.

·
Done lost her mind...
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks ya'll. I usually would just wait til I see an udder forming 3 months in to find out if they're pregnant, but I may just blood test this one since I'm anxious to know if it took. I guess I'll know it didn't if she goes into heat again.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Thanks ya'll. I usually would just wait til I see an udder forming 3 months in to find out if they're pregnant, but I may just blood test this one since I'm anxious to know if it took. I guess I'll know it didn't if she goes into heat again.
yup, and in 3 weeks if she didnt take you still are middle of March kidding, and he will be that much more fertile. and he is very nice looking

·
Done lost her mind...
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

This is the doe. She's 4 years old. Her littermate sister won RGCH and Best Udder at the 2011 AGS Nationals as a first freshener, so I'd love to see how Aven will do in the ring. I don't think she's been shown, but I don't know for sure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts