The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a buckling that is right at 3 months old yesterday around 5 PM noticed he was not himself.. He just wants to lay down and then when he gets up he just keeps stretching his back legs out.. Temp was 102.9 thinking bloat I gave him some vegetable oil and massaged his belly he did burp once and then pooped but this morning he is still about the same.. Won't eat anything and was shivering still normal temp.. I am at my wits end with this boy.. Had to go to work hoping he will be ok until I can check on him on my lunch馃う馃槱 Any advice will be greatly appreciated..

Super Moderator
I agree..watch for pee. If that looks good..give b complex and probiotics to support his tummy. Any chance he got into feed..chicken feed or other?

Reactions: MadHouse

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He honestly doesn't act like he is in severe pain other than the stretching and shivering... No teeth grinding or painful cries.. Hopefully I can catch him peeing on my lunch and see how he acts... No way he could have gotten into any chicken feed or anything like that he is in a smaller weaning pen with another buckling and 2 doelings and they are all fine...

Super Moderator
Stretching can be a sign of discomfort. That and laying down alot, you are correct to feel something is off. Recheck his temp as well. Make sure it didn't spike.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stretching can be a sign of discomfort. That and laying down alot, you are correct to feel something is off. Recheck his temp as well. Make sure it didn't spike.
Will definitely do that when I run home on lunch.. I will say he fights me when I do take it and trying to get the vegetable oil down him was fun he ended with a shiny coat and me with greasy clothes afterwards lol..

Registered
Will definitely do that when I run home on lunch.. I will say he fights me when I do take it and trying to get the vegetable oil down him was fun he ended with a shiny coat and me with greasy clothes afterwards lol..
To take his temp you can put a collar on him and clip him to a fence, then he can鈥檛 fight you as much.

Super Moderator
Temp on high end of normal. Keep an eye on that. 馃fingers crossed he pees good for you. Go ahead and give probiotics and b complex

Registered
Young as he is, this does sound an awful lot like urinary calculi. They stretch a lot in a sawhorse stance, they might kick at their belly, and they lay around and act lethargic but they don't usually act like they are in severe pain. I would recommend getting ammonium chloride into him as soon as possible. You can sometimes find it in a feed store, or you can use Fruit Fresh from the canning aisle in the grocery store. Mix up a tablespoonful in a small amount of water and drench him. One emergency procedure is to cut off the pizzle, which is the little string on the end of the penis. That is often the place where blockage occurs. Some people can do it themselves, but I think most end up calling a vet. Pain meds like banamine (Rx) could also help him relax enough to pass a painful stone.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He peed!! Finally it was a steady stream and then a few drips as he managed to pee all over my foot馃う馃徏 no visible pain or discomfort as he was peeing馃檶 someone suggested checking his famacha it was around a 2 or a 3 if I did it right as this is my first sick goat so I am learning as I go.. Gave him probiotics with vitamin b about an hour ago and he has seemed to perk up as he is currently trying to eat my clothes but still refuses his hay馃う馃徏

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He ate a little hay this morning!! Not much but its a start.. Hopefully he continues to improve.. Still no idea what it was/is.. Guess that will remain a mystery.. And you guys are awesome my first time posting for a goat illness and you guys definitely came through and gave me some good advice that is working.. This will be my go to spot for anything concerning goats next time lol..

Super Moderator
So glad he peed!!! Keep up probiotics and b complex until he's 100%. He may have gotten something or too much and upset his rumen. 馃prayers he feels better soon. ..I woukdnt offer grain just yet. Hay, alfalfa and browse only. Get him some leaves from safe trees to temp him. The more he eats roughage the happier rumen he will have...best wishes

Coccidea, pneumonia, are two that come to mind. Cocci doesn't always cause diarrhea, but they do act "off".
Same with pneumonia- maybe check his lungs. (stethascope of just listen to his sides.)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts