3 Months and counting

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by rebelshope, Oct 2, 2008.

1. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Okay, as you can see from my sigy, my first doe is due in a little over 3 months. What should I be doing now to get ready for kidding?

They are getting free choice grass hay, baking soda ( again), Purina got minerals ( am working on getting Sweetlix meat maker). Plus treats.

They get exercise in their pen. It has a climbing structure in it.

Should they have alfalfa pellets- I assume this is rabbit pellets? Or Alfalfa cubes?

Anything else I should be doing to get her ready?

2. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    calcium. I could tell you abunch of horror stories from does who didn't have calcium in their diet while they were preg.

3. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    The alfalfa would help that right? Or another way?

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    definately an alfalfa pellet (not rabbit) just regular ol' alflafa pellets or some alfalfa hay - which ever you would like! You are doing well! Keep it up!

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I give my girls 1 tums tablet everyday, I do give broken alfalfa cubes because I don't have access to pure alfalfa hay. Alfalfa pellets are not the same as rabbit pellets, it took me a while but now I can have alfalfa pellets ordered by my feed mill, so when the cubes are gone they'll get the pellets.

The dollar store brand of tums is what I use, they like the berry flavors best.

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Great idea Liz - do they eat them like treats??? I think I will start doing that everyday instead of fighting 25 goats, 6 sheep, and 3 horses with buckets of pellets - LOL!

I also feed a grass mix hay - although extremely high in nutrients - I still worry about calcium (the hay was nutrition tested)

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yep, just like a treat! Though with my 6 girls they all think they deserve 2. Bailey, my newest girl hasn't gotten a taste for them yet, she takes it and when it starts to dissolve on her tongue she spits it out and rubs her face all over me or another goat.

Easy to give as a supplement and alot cheaper....I think a bottle of 150 is like $4.....that amount will last me about a month.

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Cool - awesome - I will do that!

Thanks Liz

9. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    That is a great idea. I will try that. Would they hurt a buck? I mean he is in there with them until they kid. And like any guy he has two things on his mind and the other is food. :wink:

Can too much hurt them. I know you have to keep ca balanced. If I gave them cubes and tums would that be too much?

10. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    We supplement ours with tums before they kid and after they kid too.

11. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I was gonna start giving tums too, but then I think I heard someone say that it does not even get absorbed by the goats :shrug:

12. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma
    Do you continue to give during the last month of pregnancy or do you stop them? Does it matter what strength of Tums?

13. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Never thought there was different strengths...I just always got the knockoff...storebrand...and my girls get 1 a day throughout pregnancy and lactation....sometimes 2 if I feel they need it. Not had an issue yet with the "tums" and alfalfa combo.....my bucks do not get the extra calcium, though if they ae near when the girls get them I have a few jelly beans in my pocket just for the boys so they don't feel left out.