The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is Cossette she's about 3 - 3.5 months in the pictures. She is a mini-mancha and has absolutely stolen my heart. She was on her mother when I bought her to raise a few orphan boers. Since then I've become obsessed with the dairy girls and have added a few very nice La Mancha's to my herd. I had originally planned on selling Cosie and her sister as soon as they were weaned but think I've changed my mind and want to keep her.
What you tell about her at this age as far as udder conformation?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Well, she's not in milk, so we can't tell much. She looks like she will have a good medial and teat size, though they may wing out a bit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you ScottyHorse :) I wasn't sure how much potential could be seen from a young doeling - how would a person go about picking out a young doe for showing? What would they look for? I'm sure genetics play a HUGE part in decisions like that...

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Thank you ScottyHorse :) I wasn't sure how much potential could be seen from a young doeling - how would a person go about picking out a young doe for showing? What would they look for? I'm sure genetics play a HUGE part in decisions like that...
You're welcome :) If showing is your goal, I would want to look at the dam while she is in milk, the sire, and the sires dam if possible, that way you can know what kind of udders he is likely to throw. If you can also see sisters (even half sisters) that have freshened, that is awesome too. Usually sisters will have similar conformation. Now of course you want to look at the doeling herself. Even if the sire and dam have exceptional conformation, she may be an ugly duckling, sometimes that just happens. You also need to keep in mind that during growing stages, sometimes they will look awfully awkward. Usually at 6-8 months you can really tell how they will mature.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
well, this is a flashy doe which is a good thing. after talking to an adga judge last week about our doelings she said she wants the distance between the vulva and the top of the udder (the escutcheon)to be very short and wide. if you look at the doe you are asking about she has quite a long and narrow distance to the top of the udder. i do think her medial is strong. she will probably have a very servicable udder.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
well, this is a flashy doe which is a good thing. after talking to an adga judge last week about our doelings she said she wants the distance between the vulva and the top of the udder (the escutcheon)to be very short and wide. if you look at the doe you are asking about she has quite a long and narrow distance to the top of the udder. i do think her medial is strong. she will probably have a very servicable udder.
I was going to point that out also, but I would like to see a picture that has the vulva included (ok ok that sounds really weird I know :p ) because could it be the angel? probably not but it doesn't hurt to see more pics.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your responses :)
I probably won't want to show Cosie - my plan for her is to breed her when she's old enough and use her to help raise orphans and to provide the family and friends with milk. That said - I do have the show bug and have 2 does that are with a buck right now :)
I don't think the angles are a problem - she is narrow and there is quite a distance between her vulva and the top of her udder - her mother is the same way. AND her mothers teats tilt outwards making her slightly difficult to milk when her udders are full. To me, it's worth it though, her milk tastes better than anyone elses and though she's difficult in one way she is the very best behaved in the stand even though she was never milked by a person before I got her (a few months ago) and she's 8 years old. This particular daughter has all of her good personality traits - the other one has all her bad but is probably better conformed :)
On the other hand, I have a doe that was purchased by a show breeder - she is 6 and beautiful - she is so easy to milk, her teats hang straight down and are just long enough to fit comfortably in my hand... And though delicious, her milk just isn't quite as good as Coffee's... It's weird how it all works out, eh?

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Yes, young does should have a very short distance between the vulva and the escutcheon. The arch should be wide as well. This indicates that when the doe freshens, she should have strong and high attachments, making the udder snugly attached to the body.

Her medial doesn't look like it will be too strong, but it looks like it would be fair and it does look like it will define the udder halves well. The teats look fair sized, they are a bit off in placement, the left one is further off and looks like it will wing out.
Might not be the best show udder when she freshens, but it won't be the worst one either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts