Featured 3 stillborn kids today

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Julia yuanli, Feb 21, 2021 at 1:52 AM.

1. Julia yuanli

Julia yuanli New Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Today my doe delivered 3 stillborn kids. First one was in malposition, back two legs came out first. The doe worked very hard and pushed it out with my little assistance. It has no breathing. I swung it. No life. About more than 2 hrs she delivered second one, dead. the baby has no hair not completely formed. The third one is same as the second one no hair. I want to know what reason caused this problem. On January 24 the vet gave my 3 pregnant does clostridium C/D, tetanus. My does are due in March 6 or later. I have 4 goats. My husband said it happened naturally but I want to find the reason that caused the second and third ones not completely formed.I attached the second dead baby’s picture. I have no clue for today’s happening.

Attached Files:

AlabamaGirl likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm sorry you lost them. Only possible way to tell would be to have a necropsy done on kid and have placenta tested.

3. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Welcome to the Goat Spot.
    I’m so sorry your doe delivered prematurely. It does happen sometimes, but That never makes it any easier. :(
    Can you take the fetus to UNLV labs? They could tell you for sure if it was a biological reason. She also could have gotten rammed by another goat and injured. The CDT your vet gave wouldn’t be the reason though, it’s a normal practice to give it and it protects both doe and babies.
    I hope that your other kidding are event free and you’ll keep us posted. We would love to see pictures so if you have time introduce yourself in the introduction area. This is a wonderful community of goat lovers.

MadHouse and AlabamaGirl like this.
  4. Caileigh Jane Smith

Caileigh Jane Smith Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    I'm so sorry! :(
    Only thing I can suggest in addition to the above recommendations is to be sure that your does are receiving sufficient minerals and nutrition, and that they are overall in good condition. This will go a long way toward helping make sure your other does and kids stay healthy, and preventing problems for next year. There are plenty of threads about that here.
    How is your doe doing? I'm sure losing her kids like that has got to be sad for her, too.
    Have you ever had something like this happen before?

5. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Were the kids without hair as developed as the first one or did it looks like they had stopped developing at an earlier point?

MadHouse, AlabamaGirl and GoofyGoat like this.
  6. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    With out a necropsy we can't say for sure, she may have delivered too early but but I would suspect iodine deficiency. Babies born without hair and many times throat area will be swollen. To know if mom is deficient..you can clean her tail web well and paint it with iodine. If it absorbs within 24 hours then she is deficient. If so you keep repainting the iodine until she stops absorbing it..

I'm very sorry for your loss. Give mom lots of TLC.

7. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I would suspect iodine deficiency. Very sorry for your loss.

8. MontanaMist

MontanaMist New Member

Dec 27, 2015
    Oh no. Im sorry too. Iodine deficiency may cause this? Always learning. Thanks.

MadHouse likes this.
  9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  10. Julia yuanli

Julia yuanli New Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Las Vegas
    I am so appreciated for you guys giving me informations. I can learn a lot from you. I introduced myself here. We live in Las Vegas. We have a hobby farm in Beaver Utah. My husband retired September 2019. We never had goats before. We bought 2 boar goats, Rose and Maggie. Rose kidded healthy boy and girl on January 15. Last year we bought two girls 104 and 49 from local farmers in Beaver. 104 is the one who lost her babies yesterday. I milked her colostrum last night with the advice of the vet here. This morning I milk her again. She looks ok eating and drinking. When she sees me she always walk around me calling. It seems she asking me for babies.It hurts me.

MadHouse and happybleats like this.
  11. Julia yuanli

Julia yuanli New Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Las Vegas
    She discharges some pink mucus. Last night I buried her babies.

MadHouse likes this.
  12. Julia yuanli

Julia yuanli New Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Las Vegas
    This morning I milked her. I filtered the milk with a net and tried to boil it. The milk turned crumbled. I am confused about it.

13. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    She will have discharge and blood for several.weeks...just want to be sure her udder is comfortable if you don't want to milk her long term, just milk enough to keep comfy until she drys off. If uou want milk you can milk daily. If you want to pasteurize the milk..do a quick study on how to do it proper so milk stays drinkable. We drink our goats milk raw.

yes..can also cause goiter and buggy eyes. You can do a search and find pictures as well

14. Julia yuanli

Julia yuanli New Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Which part is tail web?

MadHouse likes this.
  15. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    The skin portion on the underside of her tail.

Julia yuanli and MadHouse like this.
  16. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    The milk crumbled because it is still colostrum. Milk her 2 or more times a day for a week, then there should be no colostrum left. Colostrum gets weird when it boils. To pasturize milk, bring up to 150º F no hotter or it will scald. (Use a double boiler-works better than milk in a pan).

That dead kid had been dead a while, it was starting to dehydrate. (notice the eye sockets and the sunken in eyes). Chlamadia is also a possiblility. I don't give antibiotics unless absolutely necessary, but if she were my doe, I would treat her with 7-10 days of LA-200 - 1 cc per 20# sub Q. Others may have different doses. (LA-200 is available at Tractor Supply).

So sorry for your losses. That is rough....

MadHouse and GoofyGoat like this.
  17. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

So sorry about the stillborns. I hope the others will have healthy kids!

18. Julia yuanli

Julia yuanli New Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Las Vegas
    MadHouse and happybleats like this.
  19. Julia yuanli

Julia yuanli New Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Las Vegas
    I am appreciated for your advice. I can learn a lot here.

GoofyGoat and MadHouse like this.