Registered
29,990 Posts
How did the iodine test go?

Reactions: MadHouse

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Since we moved the 4 goats back to Las Vegas in last November we have been feeding them alfalfa hay as main food and Goat Feed of Country Companion as supplements. I found them like to eat leaves and leave stems in the feeder. We feed them twice everyday. One and half flakes each time. Is it enough food for them?

·
Registered
29,990 Posts
Yes I painted it yesterday. This morning it is gone.
Keep painting the tail web daily until it stops absorbing. I would also add kelp to their diet for a healthy iodine source.

If you post a picture of your goats we can see their condition and know if they are needed more or less food or what mineral needs they have. Unless they have lots of browse, like bushes, vines, trees and such..I would add some grass hay to their alfalfa. It's good roughage for the rumen

·
Registered
29,990 Posts
Pretty girls. I do see a need for copper and might have lice..I see scratch spots but that could be them itchy from shedding..but wont hurt to get a good look for lice just in case. This time of year is prime time for lice.
They all look good size..not too fat or thin that I can tell...
Do continue to paint iodine daily until it stops absorbing. Would not hurt to test the other two as well. Grab some kelp to supply the iodine they need.
I have not see that mineral so will need to look it up but "trace" usually means not enough lol and can be like a supplement rather than a good loose mineral. They would do well with a something like Sweet lix meat maker or similar

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
As far as I know the TruCare 4 is to be given measured by weight of animal. I bought a bag last fall and added it to their grain every day until the bag was done. They liked it. It shouldn’t be given free choice, since it has no salt in it to limit intake.
Good luck with your last two kidding!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
My husband bought a 4-day goat for the sad mom. This baby goat is half/bottled and half-nursed by her mom. I want my sad mom could accept her. It has 3 hrs passed the baby just suckled 104 one time. Can you guys give me some suggestions how 104 can accept the baby quickly? If I bottle her how many times feed her one day .

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
My husband bought a 4-day goat for the sad mom. This baby goat is half/bottled and half-nursed by her mom. I want my sad mom could accept her. It has 3 hrs passed the baby just suckled 104 one time. Can you guys give me some suggestions how 104 can accept the baby quickly? If I bottle her how many times feed her one day .
It's not easy getting a mom to accept a baby that is not theirs. You can tie 104 to a fence or put her on a milk stand to let the baby suckle.
As far as feeding the baby Use whole cows milk from the grocery store with a pinch of baking soda in the first bottle of the day.

To figure out how much to feed, weigh baby, take her weight and multiply it by 16 then divide that number by 10 then divide that number by 6 feedings. An example would be a 10 pound baby times 16 would equal 160 divide that by 6 feedings would be 2.6 ounces each feeding. So, every 4 hours she'd get about 2.6 ounces in her bottle.

Make sure that the milk temperature is 101*F and babies temp is at least 100* (normal for a goat is 101.5-103.5) they have to have it warmer than a human baby.
I hope this helped. Good luck trying to graft baby to 104.
You have pretty goats :)

·
Registered
29,990 Posts
I grafted a kid to a mom who lost her buck. it took time and patience. I put. mom on the milk table and gave her a bit of feed. I let her smell babies bum then put her to nurse on her new mom. When I felt she had enough ( got to watch her tummy) I let the Doe smell babies bum again. Because the baby was born here and with the herd already, she ran with the herd...it took several days but one day I went out and Momma called her new adopted baby to come nurse and that was it...they were a set : ) Best wishes!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
It's not easy getting a mom to accept a baby that is not theirs. You can tie 104 to a fence or put her on a milk stand to let the baby suckle.
As far as feeding the baby Use whole cows milk from the grocery store with a pinch of baking soda in the first bottle of the day.

To figure out how much to feed, weigh baby, take her weight and multiply it by 16 then divide that number by 10 then divide that number by 6 feedings. An example would be a 10 pound baby times 16 would equal 160 divide that by 6 feedings would be 2.6 ounces each feeding. So, every 4 hours she'd get about 2.6 ounces in her bottle.

Make sure that the milk temperature is 101*F and babies temp is at least 100* (normal for a goat is 101.5-103.5) they have to have it warmer than a human baby.
I hope this helped. Good luck trying to graft baby to 104.
You have pretty goats :)
Thank you very for your detailed information.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Now the baby goat seems sick . She has thick phlegm in her nose and throat. She has no fever. She is not active. About 4 hrs ago I fed her 2 ounces of milk from 104. She poops and pees normally. She has pneumonia?

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Now the baby goat seems sick . She has thick phlegm in her nose and throat. She has no fever. She is not active. About 4 hrs ago I fed her 2 ounces of milk from 104. She poops and pees normally. She has pneumonia?
It sounds like it. She'll need to see the vet for Excenel, or draxxin,a prescription antibiotics. You can give her infants Benadryl till you can get to the vet. Pneumonia is something that has to be treated with prescription medications especially in a 4day old baby.
Watch her temperature closely!

21 - 40 of 77 Posts