The Goat Spot Forum banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
It sounds like it. She'll need to see the vet for Excenel, or draxxin,a prescription antibiotics. You can give her infants Benadryl till you can get to the vet. Pneumonia is something that has to be treated with prescription medications especially in a 4day old baby.
Watch her temperature closely!
This morning we took her to the vet. She is diagnosed pneumonia and fluid and antibiotics. So far she doesn't show any improvement. Not drinking milk. I tried to feed her milk with injector. She just took very little.

·
Registered
29,999 Posts
She feels yucky which makes it hard to want to eat. Try your best but once the antibiotics kick in she should feel like eating.
What did the vet give and what does? Did he send more to give her at home?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
She feels yucky which makes it hard to want to eat. Try your best but once the antibiotics kick in she should feel like eating.
What did the vet give and what does? Did he send more to give her at home?
She gave the antibiotics shot which can last 4 days. From afternoon she has stared to drink milk. She is progressing. Now she walk around me looking for the bottle. About one ounce each time. I hope she could make it.

·
Registered
29,999 Posts
Can you see on your vet invoice the name of the antibiotic? I ask because some long acting medications are not best used as long acting in goats. Im glad she's starting to perk up for you. We just want to be sure that continues..
I would give her probiotics daily for at least 3 days

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Can you see on your vet invoice the name of the antibiotic? I ask because some long acting medications are not best used as long acting in goats. Im glad she's starting to perk up for you. We just want to be sure that continues..
I would give her probiotics daily for at least 3 days
The name of antibiotics is cefitofur suspension 0.03mls. My goat is getting better and this afternoon we took her to 104. She is so smart to find where she could get milk. She had a good meal from 104. We put her in our house. The phlegm in her lungs is getting less.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Sorry I mistook the red thread as a worm. I made a coat for her with my sweater sleeve. The thread is from the coat. Last night she not active in nursing. This morning the vet came and gave her same antibiotics because she still has fluid in her lungs.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
The baby goat is getting better. But she still has thick phlegm in her nose and throat. How can I help her to get rid of the phlegm. The vet gave her shot of antibiotics again.

·
Registered
29,999 Posts
You can use robitussin dm for humans. If you have quality essential oils in hand we can go that route. Eucalyptus is great to open up airways. Can use diluted as a rub on her chest and a bit under her nose

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
Agree with the Ribitussim Dm. Then add a drop of VetRx on her nose. Rub it gently on both nasal openings. You can use a human infant nasal bulb. Get it at most stores. It will gently pull any phlem from the back of the throat.
Keep watch over her temp. And listen to her lungs as she breathes.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Agree with the Ribitussim Dm. Then add a drop of VetRx on her nose. Rub it gently on both nasal openings. You can use a human infant nasal bulb. Get it at most stores. It will gently pull any phlem from the back of the throat.
Keep watch over her temp. And listen to her lungs as she breathes.
There is no VetRx remedy for goats in Tractor supply stores, cal ranch stores. They just have VetRx for poultry

·
Registered
29,999 Posts
All VetRx is the same..they bottle it for different species but it's the same.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts