3 week old buck, unable to walk

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Ogmug, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Ogmug

Ogmug New Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Hello all, and sorry for the short introduction before I get to my problem. I recently came into possesion of a young goat for my step-daughter's 4h project and all was going well until about a day ago when we found the goat on its side. Just an hour before it was running and enjoying the day.

So, calling the folks we got the goat from and they told us to get some pepto and baking soda, but that we may be too late.

Needless to say I knew very little about goats, but now I could probably draw you a decent picture of their digestive tract, or at least the stomachs.

Long story short, I was able to get the goat off of the milk, got some ReSorb, and gave it some Milk of magnesia. I gave it an enema, and now the scour (i think that is it) is coming out.. runny and greenish black. I have not put it back on the kid-lac yet, and continue to give it ReSorb, with a bit of baking soda.

The kid is alert, its eyes are bright and it still bleats and yells. It is still wanting the bottle, and it is trying to move. However it has been a day since it has recovered to that point and it still cannot quite get up. I can help it stand for about 1-2 seconds before it drops to its front knees.

My wife has become more attached to the Kid (she named it Elvis, cause it curls its upper lip up, but i think it would be better named after billy idol) . Regardless, the little nipper will crawl on the floor, and bleat its frustration at not being able to stand.

The temperatures seem normal, at least compared to when he first arrived. I have not had the time to get a thermometer strictly for the goat yet so I cannot give you specifics on its temperature. It is still grinding its teeth periodically, and I am burping it once in a while.

Not sure where this is going, I guess I am hoping that the alertness and desire to stand is a good sign.

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    He needs some BoSe. It's a vet script, so please take him to the vet.

If you cannot get him to a vet then go find some human selenium and vitamin E gel caps for him. Squirt one of each in his mouth. Also get the thermometer... it's very hard to treat a goat without getting their temp.

3. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    The first things that come to my mind, also, are white muscle disease (selenium deficiency -- BoSe should help that) or floppy kid syndrome...though I think he's probably a little old for FKS, and my understanding is that they don't really *want* to do anything when they're down bad with FKS..

I don't like the teeth grinding part.. You need to get an accurate temp on him, ASAP...if it's more than about 103, I'd start him on PenG injections @ 1ml/15lbs, 2x/day for about a week.. Use a 20ga needle -- an 18ga is better, but it's a veritable stovepipe...20ga is the smallest guage that works reasonably well with PenG.

I'd definitely do the BoSe, also...see if it helps. The dosage is supposed to be 1ml/40lbs for adults, but around here, a newborn with leg issues (crooked legs, weak legs, etc) gets 0.5ml regardless of weight.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with the others....

hmm.. sounds like cocci ... can you get a fecal done on him for worms and cocci.... ? One or both ...could be a factor...

5. Ogmug

Ogmug New Member

Sep 10, 2010
    I will get him to the vet asap. Luckily for me (financially) the goat is the responsibility of the grandad and step-daughter.

as an update, he is trying to stand, and gets better at it but so very slowly. He does not cry out in pain and is very alert , bright eyes, and responsive.

The excrement, while still runny has changed to a saffron yellow color.

6. Ogmug

Ogmug New Member

Sep 10, 2010
    As an update: I just took his temperature. it is at 102.0

each time he tries, he gets a little better at getting up. then it seems to wear him out from the energy he puts into it (he is aggressive about getting up. I think it frustrates him)

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    His temp is still within normal range.... What type of milk is he on? If it's a replacer, sometimes going from mom's milk to a replacer will cause problems. I don't bottle raise kids but there are quite a few here that have had better success with using store bought whole cows milk than replacers.

I would definately get him to a vet for a BoSe shot, with him being alert and wanting to stand, I'm agreeing with the previous posts as to this being the problem.

8. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    How about some Vitamin B as well? Stinky yellow diarrhea -- e coli? could be a lot. hope you can get him checked out and report back to us!

9. Ogmug

Ogmug New Member

Sep 10, 2010
    diarrhea doesn't smell, it is a left over from the milk of magnesia forcing the rest of the toxins out, at least I hope so. Will let you know what the vet says

10. Ogmug

Ogmug New Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Sorry I haven't been able to post lately.

Vet thinks it is white muscle, and gave him some BoSe. He is still down, but trying harder to get up, and his excrement is more like paste, though is still a forest green

Vet wants him to bulk up a bit, wants us to put cream of wheat (cooked already) in his feedings.

11. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Awww I am so sorry this is happening to your little one. I hope and pray he gets better soon. It's so frustrating not knowing what to do. I've heard others say they had weak kids and the BoSe worked, so I hope it works for him too.
    BTW, welcome :)