The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone
I have an issue with my 3 week old Nubian buckling. He was dehorned 1 week ago today by our vet. He is fine in that department but the next day he had hard pooped crusted at the end of his extended anus. I very carefully got the poop out and gave him a warm enema with a couple drops of dawn. Not much came out. Well it happened a couple days later. (I was keeping a very close eye on him in the meantime) So brought him in and did the same again. His bottom was so sore, I had a tube of preparation H and, using the insert, put some in his anus thinking it may help sooth his soreness some. That was 4 days ago and he was fine until last night. It happened again. I did the same protocol
Vertebrate Mammal Plant Macropodidae Grazing
Vertebrate Mammal Grass Terrestrial animal Fawn
again along with the preparation H in his rump. This time I gave him about 3 cc's of mineral oil orally. This morning he seems fine again. Is there anything else I can do? He is nursing on momma and starting to eat some hay. Gave him his CD&T and BoSe shortly after birth. I have read that Vit B complex may help? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Also, I was wondering if the stress of dehorning threw his system off? I've been raising goats for almost 10 years and never experienced this! Poor little guys butt is so sore! :(

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
Some probiotics wouldn't hurt..dehydration can cause hard poop. Maybe mom is not allowing as much nursing. Do you see him drinking much water? He's wipe age for coccidia...might also run a fecal on him to check. His poop looks pretty dark..almost black. Do you have coccidia prevention plan? We start here at 10 days to 3 weeks old depending on weather conditions.

·
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll get some probiotics in him. I noticed he is interested in water more lately. Mom is nursing 3 kids total and she seems to let them all nurse most of the time until she get tired of it. Can't blame her! LOL I have started separating her from the kids for a few hours a day to give her a break. I will have fecal run on him. I've started him on herbal wormer this last week but should I start him on Corid liquid right now or wait for the fecal? It may be a week before I will get results.

Reactions: EJskeleton

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
I would run a fecal before doing corid. Maybe do the herbs 4 times a day and do Tummy Tamer between those doses..do that for 3 days then fecal him see how he looks. If he ever seems worse then definitely step in with Chem. Intervention. We do herbs and essential oils here but I do give a dose of toltrazuril at least once at 10 days to 3 weeks old.

Tummy Tamer
I teaspoon each
Cayenne pepper
Ginger
Slippery elm
Cinnamon
ACV
Molasses
And I would add Clove to address coccidia a bit stronger
In 20-30 cc of water.
Blend smooth with a fresh raw garlic clove. Drench slowly at least 2 times a day..if dose is too big..split it and dose 4 times a day

·
Fair-Haven
4,924 Posts
I agree with dehydration. If he were mine, I would try offering a bottle in the morning (may be a fight at first given his age) - and make sure he has a bucket of clean water he can drink at all times. How is his rate of gain? Have you been weighing him? Does he look sunken in at times? If these two things are off it would tell me he is not getting enough milk from mom.

·
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with dehydration. If he were mine, I would try offering a bottle in the morning (may be a fight at first given his age) - and make sure he has a bucket of clean water he can drink at all times. How is his rate of gain? Have you been weighing him? Does he look sunken in at times? If these two things are off it would tell me he is not getting enough milk from mom.
I'll try a morning bottle. He has a clean bucket of water too and i've seen him drink out of it when mom does. He doesn't get much grain at all yet. All the kids eat out of mommas bowl morning and night but not very seriously. I've been checking his sides daily and most of the time he is full. I stopped check his weight a week ago because my scale broke... :( I've got one on order.

Reactions: happybleats
1 - 8 of 8 Posts