The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I volunteer to milk goats at a local educational center. They have 6 babies this year from 3 does. The one buck baby was with his mom for 3 days, then all the kids were separated and transitioned to bucket feeder. The boy has struggled with the bucket nipples, and even with a bottle doesn’t latch well. Yesterday, he was hunched up, grinding his teeth, and looking extremely thin and dehydrated. I got him to drink a full bottle (10 ounces) and then asked if I could bring him home to watch him 24/7.

He seemed to be doing better — drank a little water, ate some plain yogurt from my fingers, drank a few more ounces every 3-4 hours when I offered the bottle. He followed me around the yard, peed normally, and pooped a couple little nuggets. He moves around fine but if he stands still his back is hunched. I put him to bed with a heating pad set on low and he was quiet all night.

This morning he’s coughing, a bit of foamy milk coming out of his nose, and still very hunched. He can walk fine but stands hunched. Coughing sounds are “wet” and he’s grinding teeth. He drank about 2 ounces.

I’ve offered him baking soda free choice but he’s not interested. Should I make it into a paste?
Will Probios help?

My penicillin G is expired. Trying to avoid the vet because the non-profit that owns him doesn’t want to incur costs for a goat they won’t keep (they only keep the girls for their program). But if I have to, I’ll take on the costs.

Sorry for the long post. Any advice much appreciated.

· Registered
261 Posts
He is at the age for coccidia. You might want to check for cleft palate. His lungs should be checked for pneumonia.
It sounds as though the kid is just over 3 days old.
If so, not coccidiosis.
I quite otherwise agree. OP, check for these conditions.
Hunching is usually belly pain. It may or may not be related to the other symptoms.
Did you take temp?
Was the navel and cord dipped or sprayed after birth?
There are a few other newborn kid bacterial pathogens that could be at play, but wet lungs and coughing sounds most concerning to me at this time.

· Fair-Haven
6,171 Posts
You need a poop sample taken to vet. They will look for this. lots of threads here on different types of treatments - depends on what is available to you. How many total ounces of what kind of milk are you offering and how much does he weigh? A three week old kid does not need milk every 2-3 hours. Usually just 4 times a day. Make sure you are not overfeeding - that can cause problems.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, temp is exactly 100.0 (checked twice) and no cleft palates.

so I’m assuming the milk aspiration is because I actually fed him too much/too frequently yesterday.

what would explain the hunched back?

he’s now munching on my hair. Still grinding his teeth and clenching his jaw.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE AND MORE HELP NEEDED: I gave him ProBios but feed store did not have fortified B complex so I’m waiting for my order from Jeffers. I also started adding 1 TBsp of Dyne high calorie/vitamin supplement per 6 ounces of milk in his bottle, And his appetite and attitude has been steadily improving, except i can still hear fluid in his lungs. The goat vet is not available til tomorrow (Thursday), but she did leave 5 doses of Pen G, which I started him on yesterday. He seemed to be doing really well yesterday, but still his temp was never over 100, even though I keep him on a heating pad and in the warmest part of house (living room). He’s peeing and pooping absolutely normally, so I really don’t think it’s coccidia. He ate well yesterday, taking about 20 ounces total over 3 feedings. Then last night (early this morning) his breathing got really wet, raspy, labored. His temp is down to 95.7 despite the heating pad and blankets. He’s totally lethargic and wont stand. I gave him another shot of Pen G, and more ProBios, and am trying to get his temp up. Any other suggestions, please?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.