The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a set of 3 week old boer twins. I noticed that one of them had a sore on his side about a week and a half ago. I didnt think much of it, just thought maybe one of the adults horned him. Today I came home and could hear him crying away from the herd so I go investigate. I found him on his side at the edge of the pasture unable to get up. He had flies laying eggs around the sore. I took him to the house and cleaned up the sore. Thats when I noticed something moving trying to burrow its way out. I pulled it out and I think it is a warble. Anyway, I cleaned the spot up, put a coat of Blue coat on the spot, and gave him some fortified b12 complexfor his weakness. Ever since I found him he has little control of his back legs. He can stand on his own as long as he doesent try to walk. When he falls he gets on his side and cant get up. It has been 2 days and no improvement. The day before I found him he was highly active and normal. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
Could be infection set in. Could be the maggots got to some nerves. I would be putting him on antibiotics. Probably consult a vet.

·
I'm watching you
22,267 Posts
He needs something for inflammation too. Benedril would help some. Banamine would be great. I would also treat him as if he has floppy kid. Fortified B complex with extra B-1 twice daily, Baking soda drench, Bo.Se shot.
I think I would put a cc or so of Oxytetracycline right in the hole that the Wolf came out of. If you run your fingers around the hole, you may be able to tell what muscle parts the dang thing ate.

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
You probably have some muscle and/or nerve damage. I would do daily B Complex shots. It will take a while if there is nerve damage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts