3 year old dairy doe depression

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Basal Pascal, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Basal Pascal

Basal Pascal New Member

Jul 24, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    The issue is with a 3 year old Nubian cross that had her first babies this year (grown and healthy twins) and suddenly started having problems. Everything seemed to be fine until yesterday morning when she refused grain or any other food and started acting depressed. My first thought was bloat so I gave her medicine specifically for bloat as well as mineral oil, baking soda, and alkaselzer. Additionally, I have been giving regular shots of vitamin B complex under the skin. She seems somwthat improved today but still has eaten almost nothing and violently fights against the drench gun. She can still walk and move normally but prefers to stay in the stall with her head down. Acidosis, bloat, or a combination seem to me like the most likely things; I would appreciate any replies or advise, thanks all.
    Edit: She did not have a fever. I'm fairly sure she doesn't have a high parasite load. She doesn't seem to be aneimic.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  2. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Bloat would present with the rumen (on the left side) presented high and tight. I would take her temp., and need to know when the last time she had a fecal analysis. Lots of things from worms to pneumonia, etc....... can cause a goat to go off feed.

toth boer goats likes this.

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

We need a temp.

4. Basal Pascal

Basal Pascal New Member

Jul 24, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    Her temp. was normal (103), she had a fecal a month or so ago (medium high barber pole worm load but wormed since). She was kind of grunting or moaning but that seems to have stopped.

5. Basal Pascal

Basal Pascal New Member

Jul 24, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    103°F no fever

6. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Are you milking her? If so how much milk is she gifting a day?has she lost weight lately?

7. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    A month is definitely long enough to develop another heavy worm load. What did you use to deworm her and what dosage then? Did her FAMACHA fully recover? What is her FAMACHA now?

Use caution treating for bloat if unnecessary... It will not be good for rumen function.

8. Basal Pascal

Basal Pascal New Member

Jul 24, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    She is still nursing a baby, and he takes all of it; she has not lost noticeable weight, but she has barely eaten anything in the last 2 days

9. Basal Pascal

Basal Pascal New Member

Jul 24, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    Used oral safeguard at the normal dosage, I don't suspect worms as her poop has been and is normal, and she doesn't appear to be aneimic

10. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    What bred is she? And i am confused... you said grown and healthy kidS.... how old is this kid?

11. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Hows her rumen function and sound? Is she chewing a cud? Hows her poop?
    Probiotics and dark beer make a good combo to kick start a sluggish rumen. And Cd antitoxin.

12. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    How do her lungs sound? She may have pneumonia. It doesn't always present with a fever.

13. Basal Pascal

Basal Pascal New Member

Jul 24, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    She had twins in early May, one is sold, I still have the second, and he had been nursing so I wouldn't have to milk. She is a Nubian Sanaan cross.

14. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Ah gotcha. My reason for asking these is if she is a heavy milker she could have protein inversion. Nubians are kinda known for it. If she is a saanen nub i am REALLY suprised she is not makin way more than a 3month old single kid can drink.... she was feeding two and now only one. So she should be making tons of milk for her breed and only one kid vs two. Pi can cause them to act like she is.

I am not discounting worms or pneumonia either. It was just a thought. Did you do another fecal after deworming? Safegard does not always work well as one.

15. Basal Pascal

Basal Pascal New Member

Jul 24, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    I don't think it is pneumonia, she doesn't seem to have any problems breathing. She acts like she feels better and is eating more like normal today.

16. Basal Pascal

Basal Pascal New Member

Jul 24, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    IMG_20200723_201154.jpg

17. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Maybe be rumen upset. Glad she feels some better. Give probiotics wouldnt hurt

18. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Probiotics orally and fortified vit B complex SQ, 6 cc's per 100 lbs for 3 days will get the rumen back in check.