The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3 week old bottle baby Nigerian dwarf. She’s been taking a bottle perfectly since day 3. She’s going to her new home this weekend so I’ve been trying to transition her from goat milk to cows milk. I did 3 days at 25 percent cows milk. Now I’m trying to go to 50 percent for three day. During those first three days one of my doelings started refusing the bottle every couple feedings randomly. Now she fights me hard every time. Once I get her latched she does get excited and drink it but it’s hard to get her latched to the nipple. She acts hungry like she bucks into me when I have a bottle and suckles on everything. I thought she didn’t like the cows milk but I’ve tried going back to straight goats milk and she still fights me. It’s like she has an aversion to the nipple. But I’ve tried different nipples and bottles and nothing works.

She’s acting totally normal otherwise. Jumping around and nibbling on hay. I’ve seen her pee multiple times but I haven’t caught her pooping in days. I don’t know that she’s not, I just haven’t seen it. She does grind her teeth which worries me but she’s been doing that since she was about a week old so it’s nothing new and more like she’s practicing chewing cud.

She weighs a little over 6 lbs and I’ve been feeding 5 oz 4x a day. I think this is around 20 percent of her body weight which I know is at the high end. Could that be the problem? All the other kids are doing perfectly.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She may need an enema if you haven't seen her go.
That may the teeth grinding.

How warm is the milk you are feeding? If it isn't warm enough, they don't like it.
How often should they be pooping? I have four and I rarely actually catch them going, just find the evidence. I don't want to lock her by herself if I don't need to but I also can't sit and watch her all day either to make sure. Would probios or jump start help?

I try to get their bottles to around 100 degrees and that hasn't changed.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How often should they be pooping? I have four and I rarely actually catch them going, just find the evidence. I don't want to lock her by herself if I don't need to but I also can't sit and watch her all day either to make sure. Would probios or jump start help?

I try to get their bottles to around 100 degrees and that hasn't changed.
Update: while I was just sitting here googling. I rubbed the little doelings belly and and backside. A couple minutes late she let out a little scream and I looked and she did poop! It looked possibly a little darker than the other poops I've been cleaning up, or maybe I'm just being a hypochondriac

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like she was bound up and with your help it moved it.
That may make her feel better.

She is getting to the right age for worms and cocci so watch for that too.
A fecal will let you know.
Wow I just fed her, maybe an hour after she pooped. She latched and gobbled it up perfectly! Praying that continues and that was the only issue! It was just a tiny little poop though, I can't believe that made her feel that much better.

·
Registered
29,999 Posts
I would go ahead and do an enema to be sure she's good. A little poop made her feel better but not for long if she's backed up. Also make sure you're not over/under feeding her. This too can back her up. It can take a few weeks for things to come to a head so to speak. To know if shes being fed enough, weigh her and multiply that by 16..to get her weight in oz. Multiply that by 10-12% to see how much per day she should be getting and then divide that by 3-4 feedings. This is a starting point. After her bottle, stand her up and feel her tummy. It should be flat but firm. Not too poochy and not sunken in. Adjust her amount a little at a time +/- until she has a happy tummy. No two kids are alike so each bottle baby needs their own happy amount.

Best wishes

·
Registered
29,999 Posts
And yes..daily probiotics won't hurt and a pinch of baking soda in her first bottle of the day ;)

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would go ahead and do an enema to be sure she's good. A little poop made her feel better but not for long if she's backed up. Also make sure you're not over/under feeding her. This too can back her up. It can take a few weeks for things to come to a head so to speak. To know if shes being fed enough, weigh her and multiply that by 16..to get her weight in oz. Multiply that by 10-12% to see how much per day she should be getting and then divide that by 3-4 feedings. This is a starting point. After her bottle, stand her up and feel her tummy. It should be flat but firm. Not too poochy and not sunken in. Adjust her amount a little at a time +/- until she has a happy tummy. No two kids are alike so each bottle baby needs their own happy amount.

Best wishes[/QUOTE

Thank you. I've been watching her like a hawk to see if she poops anymore. I did notice once her anus opened and there was something there but it didn't come out. So I think I will go ahead with an enema. I've been researching it and I can't seem to get a definitive answer on how much water and soap(I don't have mineral oil). Do you have a suggestion for a 3 week old 6lb Nigerian?

I do think I must have been feeding her too much, she's a bit smaller than my other babies who I'm all feeding the same amount so that would make sense. I was feeding her about 20% of her body weight. In

·
Registered
29,999 Posts
You can use oil and water or soap and water..I mix it up and using a 3 cc syring I gently begin filling baby up until a little sqirts back out. Then I massage tummy and get baby moving. If baby pushes out the fluid with no poop..I add a little back in. Can take 30-40 minutes to get results. Some poop right away..so be patient and always gentle.

One thing I have found are no two babies are the same. Even if they weigh the same one baby may need more milk while another cant digest as much. Always give the minimum 10-12% even if you split it in extra bottle. ;)

Reactions: JML Farms

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update:
Thank you everyone so much for your help! Little girl is doing perfect now. She’s taken her bottle without a fight 3 times now and pooped after each feeding. I didn’t end up doing and enema since she seems to be pooping fine. I did take about an ounce away from each bottle so she’s eating more like 15% of her body weight instead of 20%. Hopefully that was my problem and she won’t have anymore issues!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts