4.5 month old kid, diarrhea and weak

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by flatmountain, Jul 25, 2017.

1. flatmountain

flatmountain Member

Aug 14, 2010
    One of my triplets has diarrhea and is clearly dehydrated. Will walk a little but weak wobbly and is standing and looks a little hunched like her abdomen bothers her. I gave some spectoguard Scour check oral and she nibbled some fresh leaves I picked. She nibbled a little goat feed, but I was afraid to give much. She has no interest in water, but was really nibbling and trying to suck on my hands -- she is not a bottle baby and is older-- but I had some goats milk in the fridge so I warmed it up and gave her about 3 ounces (all she wanted) and she took it pretty well. More chewed and swallowed than sucked, but I figured at least it was some liquid. Is this okay to offer her milk again if she wants it? Any other tips?

Background: Mom has been semi--weaning them but I recently had construction start at the house and had to turn off the electric fence. Breakers tripping and gate latches left open and other...
    SO I had everyone up in a smaller pen and have been feeding hay and small amount of goat feed. It was a food change as they have been almost entirely pasture with just some supplemental goat feed a little in the mornings. They always have free choose loose minerals.

2. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    Has she been treated for cocci? Can you get a fecal done?

3. flatmountain

flatmountain Member

Aug 14, 2010
    no good way to get a fecal but I have corrid. should I start that?

4. Suzanne_Tyler

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    Yes, I would start her on corid. You can send a fecal in to mid america if you don't have a vet to run the test.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    flatmountain likes this.
  5. Allison

Allison Crazy Goat/Cat lady

Dec 22, 2015
    Gig Harbor, WA
    flatmountain likes this.
  6. flatmountain

flatmountain Member

Aug 14, 2010
    just to help me learn - what symptoms do you usually see with overload of coccidia?

7. Suzanne_Tyler

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    lethargy
    anemia
    scouring/clumpy poo
    hunching back
    bleating
    lack of appetite
    grinding teeth
    any signs of pain or discomfort
    coughing (usually in adults)

You might only get one two symptoms even if they have a high coccidia load. It's best to treat all kids when they 2 weeks old.

flatmountain likes this.
  8. kathy_

kathy_ Member Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2017
    I know this is a no-no but when my babies was very young and had diarrhea so bad they were getting dehydrated I mixed up some electrolytes and gave them some in their bottles (about 6 oz of water). I gave them B complex injection and CD antitoxin injection and they were well in just a few days. Oh I Forgot I also gave them probiotic paste they didn't like that so I mixed it with their milk to get it to mix I used my hand held blender.

9. kathy_

kathy_ Member Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2017
    I didn't for one minute mean to indicate not to have a fecal done and start them on a dewormer. Please yes do that and I did also my treatment just calmed their rumen and kept them hydrated while they took their medicine.

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Very good advice by Suzanne_Tyler.

If you cannot get a fecal at all, I would treat for cocci first, then worm after the course is finished. But first check the inner lower eyelids for coloring before worming, if light pink or white, you will have to inject Ivomec cattle injection 1 c per 40 lbs SQ then do it again 10 days later 3 x, 10 days apart.
    If coloring is good, give the ivomec orally, 1 cc per 33 lbs.

11. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Feeding electrolytes in the bottle is a good idea to make sure she stays hydrated. If you use Corid please dose correctly, I posted direction I learned on here : ) Keep Thiamine or fortified B complex on hand in case needed but do not give it at the same time as corid...but if she shows signs of polio, stop corid and start the thiamine/fortified B complex.
    also check temp and famacha as Pam suggested

how to use Corid
    Mix 6 tablespoons of prepared corid to 16 oz water.... you can make a smaller batch by cutting it in half....then dose it at ... 30cc per 100lbs 15cc per 50lbs 7.5 per 25 lbs DO NOT ADD TO DRINKING WATER...its better to dose to each animals to be sure they get what they need.

12. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

I don't really understand not being able to get any kind of fecal. Even a gerbil vet could check for cocci if a fecal sample was brought in. Could you expand on that problem? I'll bet we can help with that problem if we know what it is.

13. flatmountain

flatmountain Member

Aug 14, 2010
    update: She is now on corrid and she just finished a 3 day course of spectoguard. She has an appetite and her color has improved but still is on the pale side and stool is firmed up. Coccidia even I could ID and yes the local small animal vets "could" see but they won't treat goats and and won't even take the sample. I have asked before. There is a large animal vet about an hr and a half away I can (and will) run a fecal to, but not until Tuesday because they are closed tomorrow. And with it being a 3 hour round trip it's tough for me to get there when they are open around my work schedule.
    She is better but not great. She has not bounced back like I hoped so I do think she has something else too maybe. She is eating and drinking but is still weak. She will walk and browse but is slow and she tires easily.
    lastly I have tech experience myself with small animal - I would really really like to find my own microscope. Anyone have recommendations on good affordable ones?

mariarose likes this.
  14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Prayers sent. Hope she gets better soon.

flatmountain likes this.
  15. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

OMG. I'm so sorry for you, and your goats. To my mind, this is tantamount to malpractice, that they won't even LOOK at a fecal sample that is brought to them.

Lazy assed Fkers.

16. flatmountain

flatmountain Member

Aug 14, 2010
    SO Tuesday we made it to the vet and she has heavy load Barber Pole worm. Very anemic and we still are not sure she will make it, but started a deworm for her with panacure to be followed by cydectin (and all the other goats just in case) and he gave iron injection. She is still hanging in there and eating and taking electrolytes in a bottle (weird that she will take a bottle but anyway to keep her drinking is ok by me.) MY stupid TSC does not have any red cell (except the poultry one? they said) and I need to find some today, so I'm calling around... So ya'll cross your fingers for her that she can be a tough girl and pull through.

mariarose likes this.
  17. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I hope she gets better for you.

18. flatmountain

flatmountain Member

Aug 14, 2010
    today she is having a very bad day. I am going to give another iron and B12 injection and get her a higher protein feed. How much pellet feed can I offer. She seems to nibble at it but I don't want to over balance her if she is not eating much else. yesterday she was grazing my front yard but today her appetite is very poor. :(
    She only weighs about 20lbs

19. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Are you giving daily probiotics?

mariarose likes this.