The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Suzy was born on May 4. I was present for her birth. Hers was totally normal, got her mouth and nose cleaned and watched mom do the rest. She had a little cough that night and I noticed her cough a couple of times into very early the next morning. After that she had no more coughing but later on the 5th I noticed her breathing rapidly. I took her to the vet the next day and her temp was 103.1, lungs sounded clear, and she was 6.5 lbs. The vet gave her dethamethazone and Nuflor (Not sure of the spelling). He said to wait and see if it helped because it may just be some inflammation in her lungs or a virus. She has not gotten any better and now occasionally she almost sounds like she is panting and I have seen her several times quit breathing, just for a second or two, during these times her heart sounds the same. Through all of this she has kept a good attitude, nurses well, is curious and putting things in her mouth. She does not really seem like she wants to play with her brother but I think that may be to her having some tendon issues with her front legs (she started off just crawling and now she will walk on all 4 feet with just being knuckled over at her pasterns, hind legs are fine.) I am just looking for any ideas for the little girl, I know that she is pretty much in God's hands and without having anything specific to treat her for that it is a wait and see game but I would appreciate any ideas. Thanks!

UPDATE!! (6/7/20)
Just thought I would take a second and give an update Suzy's condition. She is now just over a month old and you could never tell anything was wrong with her. She is putting on weight appropriately, runs and plays like a lunatic and is a very happy girl. Here breathing issues just slowly disappeared when she was around 2 weeks old. She never ran a fever (I religiously checked twice a day), her only symptom was the rapid breathing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I should have added that I have been temping her twice a day and it has fluctuated between 101.9 and 102.6. Other than the breathing she is as close to normal as a kid can be. The vet didn't want to keep throwing antibiotics at something he didn't think it would help. I'll call him again when they open today. I have a camera to watch them and she was feeling good this morning, and wanting to play with her brother and trying to hop around.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It might be pneumonia symptoms can include labored breathing, a rattle in the chest, and standing with forelegs apart and neck stretched out. The ways to treat it are penicillin, ampicillin, tetracycline, oxytetracycline, tylosin, florfenicol, and ceftiofur.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts