4 Day Old Kid- Not quite sure what's wrong?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by KW Farms, Jun 12, 2010.

1. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I have a 4 day old doeling who has become kind of sluggish and quiet today. She looks like she's about to fall asleep with her tail and head down, but when you go to pet her she is just quiet and doesn't bounce around or move very much like the other kids. Her belly seems full and a little round. I watched her for a little while and it looked like she tried to pee or poop and ended up sitting on her butt for a little while. Then she got up and did end up peeing fine, but didn't poop. The day before yesterday she had poop stuck to her butt and tail so I had to take a warm wet cloth and clean off. After that she seemed great. Does this sound like constipation or something else? I am not sure what to give her since she's only 4 days old. If any of you have an idea on what to give her and dosages that would be awesome. Thanks everyone!!

2. If this is what it is, To make an enema, use warm water and add a drop or two of liquid dishwashing liquid. Get a 3 cc luer slip syringe without a needle attached and draw up 3 cc’s of the warm soapy water. Gently insert the tip of the luer slip syringe into the anus, slowly pressing the plunger to insert the water. Continue inserting water until it squirts back out. Gently rub the kid’s belly and continue adding water until the solid wastes come out. You will need to continue this process until you are sure that all solid waste has been flushed out. You will be surprised at how much baby poop comes out.

However, it could be a number of other things. Is she standing? Is she nursing? Do you know she has proper selenium? Do you feed BOSS (Black Oil Sunflower Seed)?

3. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Thanks so much JD. She is standing. I haven't seen her nurse today, but she was doing great last night, bouncing around and eating. She should have enough selenium. I gave a BoSe shot to the mom a couple weeks ago and they have always had loose minerals and a goat protein block, good quality grass/alfalfa mix and goat forumulated grain mix. I don't feed BOSS.

Anymore suggestions are greatly appreciated!

4. Well, based on that info I would say she could just very well be plugged up. I wanted to ask since there are SO many things. Flopp Kid, Thyroid deficiency, the list goes on. LOL Thanks and keep us posted. If she is plugged up she will cut back on eating till it is cleared.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    She may very well be plugged... give a enema and see if.. you can get her to poo out more....what color was the poo.. if it is black in color.. she is just trying to pass the plug.... make sure she gets momm'a teat....she needs milk to be able to poo....what goes in... must come out... :wink: I would get a temp on her just in case.....before you feed her.. :hug:

6. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Well, I am definately going to keep an eye on her. She seems to be doing a lot better already. When I went out there to give an enema she seemed almost normal again so I decided to wait and see. Silly little thing is going to keep me worried all day. Do you think she might have just had a stomach ache or something??

7. It could of been, as long as all is back to normal I would say it is possible.