The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new little doe kid born on Sunday night had one eye crusted shut this morning, and the other eye weepy. Her sister also has some tear-staining. I had some Vetericyn pink eye spray, and have used that twice today on the first. Is there anything else I should be doing or looking for?
Thank you!

·
Registered
31,485 Posts
also, keep the eye area clean and dry as you can

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have continued spraying/trying to wash the eye with Vetericyn eye spray (non-steroid, non-antibiotic) - I have just wanted to keep it as non-medicated as possible, and this stuff is claimed to kill 99.999% of bacteria, virus, fungi, e-coli, and the list goes on. Anyway, the eye continues to be swelled shut each morning, and throughout the day (and barely open after I clean it), and my hubby helped me get a look at it today. The lower part of the eye itself looks cloudy, and I'm wondering if I need to medicate. I've been reading about cloudy eye in another thread, and see references to Tylan, LA-200, and Penicillin Pro G. I do have the Penicillin on hand (read that one in a "Goat Vet Kit" list before bringing my goats home), but not the others. Would someone please tell me what the preferred med would be, and why? Should I have the Tylan and LA-200 on hand too? If I do need these other medicines, is there time to wait on them to arrive in the mail? I don't want to compromise her eye or vision. This has been going on for almost 5 days now.
Thanks for all of the great advice that all of you share. It's inspiring to me how you know how to care for your animals!

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
My #1 choice for pink-eye is 10 cc's of dexamethasone (irritation, swelling), 10 cc's of gentamycin (antibiotic), and 10 cc's of distilled water shaken up in a small, well-washed out travel sized hair spray pump-type spray bottle. I've never had a case that I needed to treat for more than one day, and 2 treatments - morning and night - usually does the trick. Do NOT use if the eye is ulcerated, though.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Have you checked to make sure his little eye lids are not rolled? Sometimes newborns have an eyelid that rolls in and the lash irritates the eye. After a few days they have a goopy red irritated eye. The eye can even develop an ulcer if left too long.

If the lid is rolled in, roll it out several times a day. Drip or spray antibiotics in eye to prevent infection. If lids won't stay rolled out after a day or two, you will need to inject half to 1 cc penicillin in the eye lid to create a bubble that will pull the lid into correct position. Once the penicillin is absorbed, the lid will stay out where it's supposed to be.

·
Registered
31,485 Posts
sounds like the eyelid is inverted as BCG said, its called Entropion..it will irritate the eye and cause the cloudinessyou are seeing...if so a vet can roll that lid and staple it..here is a bit of info on that..

http://www.infovets.com/books/smrm/C/C202.htm

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think you're all correct - it does appear to be the lower lid. I've worked with it a few times today, and it appears to be correcting itself. The eye was almost as open as the other this evening - we'll see what tomorrow brings. The white of the eye was red at the base - I'm assuming this means an infection? I still haven't added any Penicillin to the eye - I am still hoping for an answer to the Penicillin Pro G/Tylan/LA 200 question ... is one better than the other? I have the Penicillin, so I'm assuming that's the best for now, but is one of these meds better than the rest?

Thank you for all of the wonderful advice!

·
Registered
31,485 Posts
I use tylan 200 for pink eye..but penicillin will be fine..one drop in theeffected eye is al that is needed..plus keeping it clean and dry as it heals....You can use surgical tape to hold the eye lid down for periods at a time..I wouldnt leave her long without surpervision since goats are knows to get in trouble lol..she might eat the tape lol.but it will give her longer periods of the lid being pulled down..

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all of your help, everyone! Both of Betty's eyes are wide open, shining, and bright!
:flag: Have a great 4th!

·
Registered
31,485 Posts
wonderful news..happy 4th :july:to you too

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Glad to help. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts