The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
None emergency

I have 3 day old kid when has had a scratch on his ear. Tonight the ear is swollen and crinkled a bit where it wasn't at all this morning. I am obviously worried about infection. He is acting just fine, bouncing and nursing like normal. Mom was given a CD &T plus tetanus at 30 days before kidding. I do also worry about tetanus just because I'm a paranoid person. I am wondering what to give little man as he is so young and probably about 5 pounds now. This is a Nigerian dwarf buckling. I have LA 200 and also have Penicillin. What should I use incase of infection and about how much should I dose? Pictures taken 2 days before it started to swell. The other thing I worry about is frost bite but it is not in the typical fashion. The swelling is along the cut and the outter edges are NOT swollen.
20210226_161716.jpg
View attachment 199791 View attachment 199793

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just iodine, the scab is dry currently and not weeping. My neighbor thinks frostbite but usually the outter edges are swollen more than the interior. I do worry for the ear. Everyone else is telling me to wait til it's gunky before any further treatment. I can tell it bothers him. He tries to itch it with his rear foot. Aside from the scab and inflammation you never know anything was a miss. He eats and plays and no pus or wetness. Poor kiddo :(

·
8,066 Posts
It may be like a bruise- have you tried putting some frozen peas wrapped in a cloth and applied it for 10 min or so, every few hours? A few cc's orally of benedryl might take the itch and swelling away. Can you soften the scab and see if it has pus in it?

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try these out today. I just came back in from checking my close mommas. Sounds goofy but it's almost like an ice pack out there currently......-6 yuck! The kids aren't even shivering! They have 2 lamps but still. Brrrr

·
Super Moderator
82,233 Posts
It may be like a bruise- have you tried putting some frozen peas wrapped in a cloth and applied it for 10 min or so, every few hours? A few cc's orally of benedryl might take the itch and swelling away. Can you soften the scab and see if it has pus in it?
I agree.

It also may be a hematoma filled with water/blood.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So we did start penicillin procane. His ear last night when I was cleaning it started oozing and I could smell it :( poor baby. I hope we can save his ear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts