The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our nubian had twins 4 days ago and her milk had not come in. We brought the babies home as one was very near death and the other not far behind. After hours of work they did warm up and both took to a bottle very well. The first 2 days they looked to completely rebound. Both playing, eating, and going potty. On day 3, yesterday, I woke up to one of them being very lethargic and not well. I took them to the vet and the one had a high fever of 107 and his lungs weren't sounding good. The vet gave him a shot with antibiotics, another for the fever, and another with b vitamins. When we got home he looked to improve, he was also doing well at 12:30 this morning. When I got up again at 4 he seems to not feel well and his fever is back. Is there anything for humans I can give him for fever for right now? It's Sunday morning and we're getting ice again outdoors. I plan to call the vet after while.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
It's pneumonia, I'm almost 100 percent certain. The doctor gave you nothing else to give later?

Do you have any children's medication at all? Cold medication often has a fever reducer. Do you have electrolytes? If not, there is a DIY formula on here that involves salt and sugar. I'll try to find it.

Bumping this up so anyone can see it and jump in.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
B-Vitamins are very good. Do you have any?

I'm still looking for the electrolyte formula.

@Jessica84 @Damfino I see you are listed as being on, but you may not be watching. If you see this, do you have any ideas for such a high fever for one so little?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ended up crushing a 81mg asprin and gave in a little milk. They fever is under control. My husband has gone to buy pedialyte also.
Now for the new issue... he can't poop. I've read many threads about enemas and am trying that. Nothing so far!!!!! How often do you squirt it in if nothing's coming out??? We've put 4 within the past hour and nothing. He's crying a pants occasionally.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The vet gave no meds and is 20 miles away, and it is freezing rain and slick!!!! I'm about to my wits end!!!! I can't stand to see an animal in pain and I know VERY little.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's the constipation that appears to be bothering him most. I need to know how many times I can get put the soap/warm water solution in if nothings coming out!!!!

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Corn Syrup is supposed to help it from the other side... (the side going in, not the side where it is supposed to come out.

Also, try an oil enema (olive oil, etc.), trying to get the oil further inside in case the stoppage is further up. If he has not been active then the stoppage might be quite far up.

How long since he pooped?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I made it...how much should I give? He's 7 1/2 lbs.
Corn Syrup is supposed to help it from the other side... (the side going in, not the side where it is supposed to come out.

Also, try an oil enema (olive oil, etc.), trying to get the oil further inside in case the stoppage is further up. If he has not been active then the stoppage might be quite far up.

How long since he pooped?
I will try the olive oil. It's been since yesterday. Thank you for answering!!!!

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
You can try an ounce of electrolytes at a time. If she wants more, she can have more. Give this instead of milk.

Corn Syrup should be given by mouth. I've also heard that olive oil can be given by mouth.

I'd try to move her as well, to help break things up in there and get it flowing? I don't mean harshly or anything. Gentle rubs and stretches.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
@toth boer goats In your opinion, would Milk Of Magnesia help here? I don't want to be too harsh...

I've never dealt with such a stopped up case myself.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
MOM's probably too harsh.

When she's resting, try to keep her propped up, like up on her chest. If she lays flat, that will cause further problems with her breathing and pooping.

keep her warm

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You can try an ounce of electrolytes at a time. If she wants more, she can have more. Give this instead of milk.

Corn Syrup should be given by mouth. I've also heard that olive oil can be given by mouth.

I'd try to move her as well, to help break things up in there and get it flowing? I don't mean harshly or anything. Gentle rubs and stretches.
I just got done giving him a Olive oil emema. One little tiny people came out but he is still crying and backing up try to go. I also gave him a little corn syrup by mouth. Does it typically take a little while on the enemas? I'm worrying how much stuff u can squirt in there before it's unsafe???

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I'm afraid I just don't know... But the oil can't really harm anything, and if you get too much in there, it is going to squirt back out, right?

I'd say keep doing what you are doing, oil, corn syrup (or oil), gentle movements and rubs.

People don't realize how important movement is to keep things flowing. Once a goat is recumbent, the rumen stops, the lung function stops, the bowels stop.

I'm not saying you are doing anything wrong. I'm just guessing because this is one of the few ways I haven't managed to kill someone yet.

I can speak with much more authority on other ways...

Reactions: AmyMarstall
1 - 20 of 63 Posts