The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
14,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really late posting a waiting thread this year! I've been so consumed with a new job, trying to keep up with house work/cooking, and doing most of the Christmas shopping. We also have been working on a new barn, and thankfully it's ready enough for the girls to kid in.

Aspen and Jazzy are due the day after tomorrow. Aspen is a first timer, and this is Jazzy's second pregnancy. Jazzy had a huge, beautiful, red single doe kid last year but looks like she has a whole herd in there this year. She is so miserable, and can barely walk - heavy on her feet.
Aspen tested high for ketones a few weeks ago, and really didn't think she'd make it this far, but she did a complete turnaround and has been doing really well! No ketones, and she loves the drench we make for her - eats it out of the bowl lol.
Jazzy is getting some as well starting yesterday just to make sure she is eating enough and getting some calories/energy. I'd have to look but think she has gained around 40lbs. this pregnancy!
We are planning to induce them today so that they kid while I am off of work in case there are any issues.

Willow is due 12/31, she just turned 2 and is also a first timer. I'd suspect 1-2 kids. She looks like she could be hiding 2 though, and acts miserable enough for 2, otherwise she'll get an ear full from me about being a drama queen lol

Misty is due 1/1, she is our eldest doe, getting ready to turn 6. Willow is her daughter. Misty has had a single the last 2 years, but kind of looking like she could have twins this year, we'll see.

I don't have pictures to share at the moment, just video, I haven't had a chance to see if any of my pics from the other day turned out.
Video from Christmas day when we got them out to exercise - normally they are out all day, but it was bitterly cold and snowing.

Aspen - smaller, wide traditional doe
Jazzy - paint doe with more red on her rear end (the one more unsteady/heavy on her feet)
Willow - younger paint doe with less red on her.
Misty - bigger solid red doe

December 25, 2020 - YouTube

December 25, 2020 - YouTube

Barn cam pic from last night - Aspen and Willow

Jazzy and Aspen is eating hay

·
14,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!
These 2 are so big, I feel bad for them. Jazzys twin sister had quads back in May so that definitely worries me although one of hers was stillborn.

We sold one of our bucks this summer, and bred all our does to the other, then sold him around Thanksgiving. He's such a good boy, but nobody wanted to spend time with him and with me working I felt that it was best. My daughter doesn't like to mess with big bucks, so we're planning to buy her a new young buck she can raise, show and use for breeding.

We induced Jazzy and Aspen around 5pm yesterday, so hopefully they kid this afternoon or sometime tonight.
I'm worried Jazzy is dehydrated as she just doesn't want to be on her feet now.
We have offered electrolytes, but nobody seems to drink them. Bluelite and another brand. Warm water, makes no difference. I'm going to mix it stronger this morning and see if Jazzy will drink it. The others are drinking as far as we've noticed.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Thanks!
These 2 are so big, I feel bad for them. Jazzys twin sister had quads back in May so that definitely worries me although one of hers was stillborn.

We sold one of our bucks this summer, and bred all our does to the other, then sold him around Thanksgiving. He's such a good boy, but nobody wanted to spend time with him and with me working I felt that it was best. My daughter doesn't like to mess with big bucks, so we're planning to buy her a new young buck she can raise, show and use for breeding.

We induced Jazzy and Aspen around 5pm yesterday, so hopefully they kid this afternoon or sometime tonight.
I'm worried Jazzy is dehydrated as she just doesn't want to be on her feet now.
We have offered electrolytes, but nobody seems to drink them. Bluelite and another brand. Warm water, makes no difference. I'm going to mix it stronger this morning and see if Jazzy will drink it. The others are drinking as far as we've noticed.
Have you tried giving Jazzy Propel water with an extra packet added in? I discovered this when Sirius was dehydrated, he was refusing everything thing so I tried propel and he drank a little but I wanted to up the electrolytes so I added in a packet propel and he guzzled it down with the double flavoring.
It's worth a shot.
Praying for textbook easy kidding for both girls and happy healthy kids!
Good luck

·
14,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the Propel water suggestion Goofygoat, I will keep that in mind! She drank a little electrolyte water today and seems content at the moment, but she's definitely very opionated.

It appears Misty is in labor, and Willow may also be close. It's going to be a very long night.

·
14,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks! I'll share more & pics later. I've been super busy with no sleep and had to work this morning.
Misty has not been well, so prayers for her would be good. She won't lay down and has for 2 days! No sign of labor. We gave her lute & dex yesterday. Light are now gone, and after work I went in to check and can get about 4 fingers in. Giving her time to see if she progresses & dialates more.
We've treated her for hypoglycemia, toxemia.. it's so strange. She is carrying very low.

Nap for now so I can function later.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts