The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
14,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have 4 does due March 14-15th, so we're getting into the last month of pregnancy. I worry because these girls were getting more grain than they needed at breeding and first month, but when I realized that my husband and kids were feeding them too much, I quickly had them to wean them way back, and we have slowly started to work them up again adding in some cracked corn, alfalfa pellets and beet pulp so hopefully that will help keep them in good shape.

I haven't been able to get pics, but did take a video of them last week on Feb 6th when we came back from a walk.
Does in order they appear -

Mindy - just turned 3yo/2nd kidding, smaller doe and is 'my baby.' She is huge and I am worried about multiples with her. I can't even say how nervous I am and how bad my anxiety is worrying about this brat, she is truly my 4th child. She was an itty bitty triplet runt that we raised on a bottle, but owns this place, knows she is a goat and is a Houdini with gates lol
9/1/20 152.4lbs.
2/4/21 212.2lbs.

Athena (red doe) will be 2 in April, first kidding. Praying everything goes smoothly for her. My daughter bought her last year and she has been such a nice addition to our little herd.
9/1/20 167lbs.
2/4/21 204.4lbs.

Harmony - Just turned 5yo/4th pregnancy. Mindy was her first born from set of triplets, then she had twins, and last year triplets. She is massive this year.
9/1/20 199lbs
2/4/21 257.8lbs.

Magna - turning 3 next month/2nd pregnancy. She was afraid to cross the bridge because there were people on the other side of our place lol. She is a big, long doe, super, super SUPER sweet. She is also Athena's older, full sister! They are like night and day in every way except the fact they both LOVE their faces to be rubbed. She is kind of the outcast of this group and more standoffish since getting pregnant so I try to keep an eye on her and make sure she is eating and getting her share of things.
9/1/20 186.6lbs (she'd just weaned kids not long before that and needed a little weight)
2/4/21 241.0lbs.

(1) February 6, 2021 - YouTube

They are all bred to this buck, older pic since I don't have any of him on this computer. Love this guy and miss him so much. We sold him to a wonderful family after we were pretty certain these girls were bred. My daughter doesn't want to mess with or show big bucks :(

Attachments

·
14,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank You, we adore these girls and definitely adored the buck and so glad he is in a wonderful home.

The girls are due in just under a month as of Sun/Mon. They are not amused by the cold and icy/snowy weather. We have been locking them in the old barn at night since the weather is so lousy. I am hoping to get them moved to the other barn in the next couple of weeks once I figure out how to move the moms and babies out. I'll have to move stuff out of the old barn, and fix it up temporarily. We need to finish the buck pen shelter, and fix the fence so we have a place to wean the boys. So much to do I'm so stressed about getting it done. Our babies are 7 weeks old this week so it won't be long before the boys will be weaned.

Here's a video from yesterday after I gave the girls some lunch and persuaded them to go out with me for a walk. They hesitated going back in. It was funny anyway because I can't get them to eat Tums, so I smashed them up in a baggie and mix them with their lunch, and they were not amused. But they went back in to clean up the dust. Today they cleaned it all up without a fuss.

Then today after getting freezing rain, sleet, and snow they were definitely not happy to venture out, yet didn't want to go back inside. The ice under the snow made it hard for them to walk. I didn't want them to venture too far since it is harder for Harmony on the ice, didn't want her tripping in a hole.

Mindy is so yucky, staining like crazy, definitely a genetic thing regardless as a lot of does in her family do that. Triplets are common in her family. It's going to warm up after Saturday so I am hoping to get her rear end cleaned up and tail shaved as well as the other girls. Harmony usually starts to stain about 3 weeks out and don't want them getting scald.

Here's video today that made me laugh, Mindy just had that look 'I'm over this crud' and Magna kept pawing at the snow and ice, clearly not pleased. Athena and Harmony looked like they were just disgusted and defeated.

This was as far as they were willing to go lol. I crossed the bridge so I could peek at the back and make sure no trees had fallen. Normally they'd be right on my heels.

·
14,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
3 weeks! So far they seem to be doing okay, the weather really has had me worried as I can imagine it was hard on them. It's slowly warming up and we'll be in the 40s/50s. A lot of the snow and ice have melted, and I think most will be gone tomorrow.

We weighed the girls yesterday. They are huge and miserable.
Harmony - 271lbs.
Mindy 226.4lbs.
Magna - 252lbs.
Athena - 220lbs.

We're checking ketones every other day, and increased them to 3 feedings a day - breakfast, lunch and dinner. They are getting a mix of goat pellets, alfalfa pellets, beet pulp, and morning/evening we give some cracked corn, and 1x a day we add some Tums.
Animal crackers every other day at the least, and Fastrack probiotics a few times a week.
I am not used to feeding Alfalfa pellets, so I'm concerned maybe I am not giving enough or giving too much. They do get some alfalfa hay, and started giving Tums 1x a day.

Mindy has a very big horn set for her age!

Excited to see the kids. This is the same buck they were bred to last year right? (Or one of the twin bucks)
Mindy definitely has big horns for being a smaller, younger doe. But... you should see her udder now, wow. It's massive. I need to get pictures. I cleaned up their tails yesterday, poor Mindy was staining so badly with her tail getting her so nasty.
We kept my daughters buck and bred everyone to him. But last year Harmony & Magna were bred to his brother/my son's buck, and Mindy was bred to this buck.
I really like his kids, we have one that is a mini me and praying he grows out well. Depending on what these girls have, I honestly was hoping my daughter will have a couple of nice home bred bucks to show, and use the 'mini me' buck on some does, and breed the rest to outside bucks vs buying a buck this year. Instead I'd like to just get a nice yearling doe, and work on finishing everything up before investing in another buck next year. But... we'll see.

·
14,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I haven't been on much the last week - had to have a back tooth pulled after the filling came out taking most of the tooth above the gum with it. Had a root canal years ago, so thankfully no real pain, but it's been a 'fun' week. Still fairly sore, but honestly I should have just had it pulled years ago.

The girls are doing okay so far. Miserable to say the least. Due in 11-12 days. We're giving Mindy and Magna nutritional support via drench to help them out as Mindy had small ketones the other day and Magna was trying to get Moderate. Magna has been on my radar for a long time, as I just don't know what is going on with her, she seems fine other than not wanting to eat feed. Then I realized the night before last, maybe she has been depressed? We sold her doe kid back in Dec and I am really wondering if that has something to do with it.
Mindy is just so full of baby she tries to eat but can't eat much at a time.
We have added in a sweet goat feed for the girls, and pretty much free choice feeding so they can eat a little here and there. We also added in some Amplify (hi fat horse supplement), they get alfalfa pellets, but we have stopped the beet pulp and cracked corn.

Otherwise they all seem to be doing good. They got to go out and browse last week but thanks to the heavy rain, they are afraid to cross the bridge as the creek is very high and I am sure the back area is probably flooded. It's not much better in the rest of their area, but we're slowly trying to dry out a bit.

Here's a video from last week of the girls out enjoying themselves despite nothing to really graze on. Notice all the poor trees we get to cut up when my husband replaces his chainsaw. All these trees are pretty much dead now thanks to a bug (I forget what it's called). Eventually we'll have to cut them all down. When we moved here, this was all wooded area, no grass, and you'd get lost trying to walk through it all.

Video - Mindy, Magna, Athena (red) and Harmony is the one in the very back looking disgusted at the lack of green.

·
14,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I haven't been able to get on in a while! Things have been crazy busy this past week to the point I have been exhausted and pretty much going from 4am-8pm.
We've had issues with the girls which has me kicking my own butt as I think it all stemmed from too much feed through pregnancy, or maybe even adding in some cracked corn to their feed. I just have no idea, but we'll definitely make major changes next breeding season.

Magna has not been well the past few days, her ketones were up and down, and she wasn't really eating Monday evening, so we induced her. She seems to be holding her own, and is currently at 32 1/2 hours post inducing and in labor. I'm watching her close on barn cam to see if she starts pushing soon or if I need to go in and check. I was up checking camera every 30-45 minutes through the night when I had my alarm set for every hour, so very little sleep!

Mindy has been staying at small amount of ketones, but is active, just not eating much feed that I can tell, and not much hay. She is miserable, and has a massive udder.
Athena started testing for ketones the other day and acting off, so we started drenching her too and got her down to negative/trace. It's been pure chaos. Meanwhile, Harmony just goes about her business.

Athena is due Sunday and Mindy, and Harmony (and Magna) on Mon. At this point I am planning to induce Mindy and Athena to kid Fri night or Sat since I will be off work. I am worried Mindy could have big twins or triplets, and not sure about Athena. Harmony definitely looks like a herd. So hopefully it will give me a few days to get things done here in the event we have multiples (bottle babies), and rest before heading back to work next Wed.

So fingers crossed for Magna and her babies. They will be 5 days early. On top of this we also need to wean the Dec kids so I can get them all out of the kidding barn and move the other 3 pregnant girls in and get the other 2 stalls set up (currently opened into a creep area).

·
14,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks I really do appreciate it. Magna is doing okay so far. I did go in and check her about an hour ago and she was open but not fully dilated, I massaged her a bit, and could touch baby, but with all sacks in tact and still a bit tight I let her be as I can't make out what part of the baby through all the sacks - I'm hoping she will break water on her own. Of course she thought I pulled out a baby and was looking for it. I'm making a quick early lunch and watching her on the camera. Will go out after I eat and see if she is progressing.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts