The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 9-year-old daughter got 2 Boar goats earlier this year that were born January 2013. These goats refuse to walk on a leash...they buck, scream and throw themselves on the ground everytime we try to walk them. The only time they do walk is to run back to the barn to their stall .

·
Boer Lover 4 Life!
2,991 Posts
And FYI Boer is spelt B-O-E-R when talking goats. ;)

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I would recommend halter breaking first. Always stay behind the goats shoulder while asking them to go forward. Don't drag them along behind you. You can also use treats, like a little nibble of hay. Reward them when they move forward and make walking a good thing for them. :)

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Completely agree with BCG. Another thing is to let them walk where they want to walk. Take them away from their pen and stand there with them until they become bored enough to want to go somewhere. Go with them. Pretend it is fun. They will get it soon enough ;)

·
Registered
635 Posts
I wouldn't walk on leaches either. I hate it when they squish...ew!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the same problem with my two boys. Get them a halter first so they don't hurt themselves flailing (I made one out of braided bailing twine, or you can buy one they're not very expensive), a dog training clicker, and a treat that they really like (I use grain). To teach them to walk on them every time they give to the pressure or take a step closer to you click and give them a reward then make the distance farther they have to walk each time. Pretty soon they'll be walking by your side, they catch on very quickly! Then once they get used to it you can make the change back to a leash and collar. Oh and definately do this seperately and once they get the hang of it inside their pen start going outside their comfort zone. In no time you'll be able to walk them down the street :)

Hope this helps :book:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts