The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the average price you get for your 4-h market wethers when they are sold in the 4-h auctions at the fair?

And approximately how much grain do you go through on just one wether?

What percent protein, and how many pounds of grain do you feed them per day?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Your prices are going to vary depending on where you are. In our county in Kansas, we get anwhere from just over market price to 5x the market price depending on the year. This last year, my daughter got almost $500 for her goat!! The year before, under $200.

You need to be feeding at least a 16% protein feed and he should have feed in front of him at all times. I'm going to guess at amounts cause we buy it by the ton and feed to everyone, not just 4H wethers....probably around 200 pounds a month? He's going to eat less at the beginning and more as he grows.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
We get whatever market prices are at the time. Last yeat I got 163 for a hundred pound goat and 175 for 90lb. 75-85lbs sells for around 200 normally.

Not sure yet this year. We also get all kinds of premiums.

Not sure on feed but 2-4lbs a day usually.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Around here they go from anywhere from $22 a lb (grand champion) to $4-$5 a pound.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My daughter wants to show one, and this year, there was not one market wether at the fair. If that happens again next year, if she is the only one with a market wether, does she just get first place, or grand champion?

Odd question I know, lol.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
She would get grand champion. (I think) My pygmy goat was the only Pygmy goat at the fair, so she got Grand Champion.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
She'll get grand... take two so she has grand and reserve :)

·
Registered
771 Posts
Wow, our county is spoiled... we get average of $4 a pound for hogs, I think $6 for goats. Our champ got 23 a pound. Steers went for 2.50 to 6.25... I got 6.25 on mine and the highest saler was 19 a pound. Thats over 20, 000... but her parents bought it so I dont really count that

·
Registered
46 Posts
I got $900 on a 130 pound wether, and $250 on his sister at barn sale.
And my goat actually went for less than normal, because of how big he was. I've seen champion goats go for $2100.

Lots of feed, lots... By the end you should be feeding a show wether up to 4 pounds a day, depending on how big.
My feed has 16% protein and 3% fat.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Curious how much you make after feed, med and goat costs?

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I don't make too much here in nc. We might make a few hundred. If its a non winning year like this year then we break even

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
For my goats that don't make live auction, at our school show we get $300 per goat. At the county show I got $130 for a goat that was 80lbs. At my school show the past two years I got 18th overall and made $2600 at the auction. This year I got 8th overall and got $3200 at the auction, grand got $9,000. I guess it depends:)

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
For my goats that don't make live auction, at our school show we get $300 per goat. At the county show I got $130 for a goat that was 80lbs. At my school show the past two years I got 18th overall and made $2600 at the auction. This year I got 8th overall and got $3200 at the auction, grand got $9,000. I guess it depends:)
I need to come show with yall! Our grands are usually 75-250 per show... usually 100-150 is normal. And then we sell for market price unless you win state fair. They got 6k this year. But really I should come show out there lol

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I need to come show with yall! Our grands are usually 75-250 per show... usually 100-150 is normal. And then we sell for market price unless you win state fair. They got 6k this year. But really I should come show out there lol
Unfortunately I'm not in high school anymore, I just graduated. but I still help the young ones!

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Awesome! :)

I'll have to check with the fair and see if she can take two :)
Most of the time you can take 2 and, yes, she would get Grand and Reserve. However...she may only be able to sell 1. I'd say if goats are that scarce at your fair, the price is gonna be market value. If you want to make money....take a pig! At our fair....pigs ALWAYS make money. My daughter got $1500 for a white ribbon pig....and that's pretty standard.

·
Registered
462 Posts
At our fair market whethers go for around five bucks a pound, more if they get a big ribbon. People tend to be generous at 4H fairs, lot's of times at our fair local businesses will buy an animal and donate it back to the 4her.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts