The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For our fair this year im doing a project board.
-main idea: Beginner goat care
-points im going to make:
1. buying a goat: auction vs. personal farm, what type of goat is best for you.
2. general goat care: how much to feed, what to feed, worming, vaccinations, hoof care, parasites like lice, ticks, etc., grooming.
3. kidding: what to do/have when she is in labor and the kid is born, what to do with the baby, what to breed your goat with (ex. don't breed a pygmy with a large goat), basically do's and don'ts of breeding.

This project board is going to be a tri-fold, have pictures, and on the points im going to make it will be a quick and to the point summary.
so what are some more points you think I can make? if you would like to answer any of the points that would be great:)

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Maybe the products that are made from goats milk, etc.
The breeds, hygiene, sings of a healthy and sick goat, safety precautions, disbudded vs. horned, things like that.
I can give the answers to those of you need.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
That can be taken two ways I suppose.
Both safety for the goat and you.

For the goat, it would be small, but really important things like, keep all strings and garbage out and away from the pens, make sure there is no sharp wire they can injure themselves on, keep predators out, things like that.

For the person, awareness of danger that may occur when around horned goats, bucks, or protective does, use proper management & handling techniques, things like that.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I might suggest you not try to hit so many points on one project board but rather narrow your focus and treat each point in more depth. I have seen excellent presentations done on just milking, or grooming, or labor and kidding etc.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i might suggest you not try to hit so many points on one project board but rather narrow your focus and treat each point in more depth. I have seen excellent presentations done on just milking, or grooming, or labor and kidding etc.
i am a 4-h leader and i think you should do one thing and do it well. I have a 10 year old member who did one of those boards on scrapie. It was well recieved at the state fair and won best poster on goats. It helped explain why his goats were seperated from other goats with a solid partition. It's amazing how everyone has a scrapie tag and no one follows the guidlines for scrapie eradication.
I think maybe kidding would be a good subject and put together a kidding kit to go with the poster. That way you can enter two classes with the same materials.
You could do the same thing with hoof trimming

·
2,203 Posts
Completely agree. Narrow down to one or two things that go hand in hand and do them thoroughly. Too much takes too much time reading, and is VERY distracting to the eye.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts